Rooftop tents?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bgiff

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Will the factory rack on a 2001 support a rooftop tent? The manufacturer specs say “Vehicle mounting cross bars must have a dynamic weight load of at least 165 lbs.”

I added 2 factory (junkyard) crossbars as a cheap reinforcement for a basket which seems more stable, but i just dont know if a 150lb tent system plus 2-300 lbs of people will be safe??

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check YouTube (I don't know, myself). There are a couple of people that have used Tahoes as overlander vehicles.

BacDoc

Reaction score
Remember it isn’t just the racks or the roof as the system is only as strong as the weakest link. Most supports for mounting the horizontal rack/basket to the roof are not as strong as the cross bars. Some racks like Thule and Yakima will spec the load for each component, the feet that attach to the roof, the bars and the components that attach to them.

OP
OP
B

bgiff

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I wonder if the owner’s manual has roof rack capacity somewhere. GM engineere almost certainly spec’d a load capacity.

BacDoc

Reaction score
Another thing to consider is the roof top tent room. I used to do a lot of camping when I was younger but now I’m strictly doing air bnb or house rentals when I travel.

There are some awesome tents that pack up well and have way more room than a roof top version.

If you are a skinny vegan hippie who weighs about 130lbs and your wife/girlfriend is same you might be happy in a 6’x8’ space lol! If you’re normal size or larger you might want to check the size dimensions of roof top tent.

DRLexpress

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Remember there are several different factory roof racks. My '06 Z71 has one that is not the same as most I see. Don't know if it is the Z71 package or has its own RPO.

Reaction score
I wonder if the owner’s manual has roof rack capacity somewhere. GM engineere almost certainly spec’d a load capacity.
The owners manual for my 2012 says 200lbs. Not sure if the manual for the 2001 has it listed, I don't remember.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sampler73

Latest posts