Rough Country Sucks!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blown3ur

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Very rarely do i go on forums to bash a manufacturer but these people are truly asking for it!

About a year ago when i purchased their 'improved' 2-3" lift i posted a thread on here complaining about a vibration in the driveline.. The vehicle i installed this kit on is my 1997 2-dr Tahoe with which had 60K miles on the clock (62K now - hardly been driven because of the issues). Initially i was going to tare into the front diff to investigate if it was a problem with the truck but thankfully, i decided to venture off with looking a bit closely at the kit first.

Firstly, the diff drop was connecting the differential to the frame directly, thus transferring all vibrations to the body through the steering wheel of the most part!.. I removed the drop kit and grinded it from all locations it was touch at.. The vibration was majorly reduced but not illuminated so i took a closer look at the arms.. I noticed the driver side front wheel was giving friction when turning while the passenger side wheel was free. For testing, i decided to remove the arms along with the diff drop, replace them with factory voila.. Vibration went away! I also noticed the 2 front shock spacers where damaged although the truck hasn't been off-road in any major terrain albeit a fire road or 2.

At the end i just removed what remained (rear blocks) and lowered the truck with bilstein shocks.

RCX's 'premium' 2.2 shocks were ordered with this kit and absolutely destroyed the ride.. I couldn't take them at all and ordered the bilsteins 2 days after the kit was installed! Absolute garbage.

I sent RCX an email about this and they completely ignored me, i went online and spoke to a representative on their live chat, he apologised and promised to speak to the engineer and get back to me with an offer on a replacement 6" lift and again, totally ignored me.. I called them, they were very apologetic, promised an email and completely ditched! I feel completely ripped off and all i get out of this was a loss of many man-hours and the grinding of my front diff fins for installation!

I am looking to replace this with a 6" lift and although RCX is closer to my budget but i do not feel comfortable dealing with them ever again!

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We all understand frustration. Rough Country's 2-3" kit is trash. Well documented trash. The 4-6" kit is good though. I run on on a suburban and I like it. No issues, smooth install too.

Top of the page where you posted it...as a sticky is a review on the kit you have, summary is stay away from it. http://tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27612

OP
OP
Blown3ur

Blown3ur

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We all understand frustration. Rough Country's 2-3" kit is trash. Well documented trash. The 4-6" kit is good though. I run on on a suburban and I like it. No issues, smooth install too.

Top of the page where you posted it...as a sticky is a review on the kit you have, summary is stay away from it. http://tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27612

Correct sir I read that thread thoroughly but towards the end, many people ordered them and praised the updates.. I just could not believe the issues I had with the kit especially for my usage and what killed me is how careless rough country woere about it.. They did not return emails, wouldn't care about the whole issue and even when I called inquiring about the 6" lift without shocks because from my experience, their shocks are garbage, I would much rather go with Bilstein 5100s, the answer I got was "sir, these kits come engineered with these shocks and we cannot sell the lift separate!" - Clearly that was the case in the past!

If you're running it on the suburban, what do you think of the quality of the damping?

A little off topic Bowtie, I've always wanted to ask what dual hoop setup you're running on my truck's twin :p and how is the ride?

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rough country shocks are crap, most shocks that are included with kits suck. They ride ok but could be much better. I will be putting 5100 series on there someday...as I have on the tahoe.

The shock hoop is a Dick Cepek part I bought when I bought the kit...that is no longer made. It rides stiff as hell with the 6" lift springs and the front shocks are valved wrong to be running in tandem like they are. I may actually drill one and relieve the fluid and pressure...like a dummy shock

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kkeesy

Latest posts