RPM matching radio static

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bunch of hooey

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
99 tahoe with OEM radio- produces intermittent static that matches the engine RPM. Any idea if that a grounding issue or something else entirely?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes it could be a grounding issue, but it could also mean that your alternator is beginning to fail. I doubt it is a ground within the head unit or its direct wiring, unless you've been inside the dash any maybe inadvertently moved or broke something. Check the major grounds in the engine well and on the frame under the truck on the drivers side, above where the drivers foot would be. Clean them up and ensure a solid connections first, and see if that resolves your issue. Otherwise, I'd be looking for a replacement alternator.

OP
OP
Bunch of hooey

Bunch of hooey

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes it could be a grounding issue, but it could also mean that your alternator is beginning to fail. I doubt it is a ground within the head unit or its direct wiring, unless you've been inside the dash any maybe inadvertently moved or broke something. Check the major grounds in the engine well and on the frame under the truck on the drivers side, above where the drivers foot would be. Clean them up and ensure a solid connections first, and see if that resolves your issue. Otherwise, I'd be looking for a replacement alternator.
thank you for the guidance Joseph, the truck is from Michigan and the engine/chassis ground strap on the passenger side turned to dust shortly after the trip to Texas so i wouldn’t be surprised if another (or others) is in similar shape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bpollard1248