RTV (silicone) posioned O2 sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firsthere

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So finished up the final details on the 04 Tahoe engine replacement last Weekend. One of the details that day was connecting the exhaust tubing to the manifold in which I used "Sensor Safe" RTV at the joints, fired it up a couple hours later.

It has a CEL for o2 sensor Bank2 sensor 1 which Ohms at 24.6, others are 14,12 and 12 Ohms. I am assuming the fresh RTV took out the one upstream sensor while the other bank 1 upstream is at 14 ohms, right at the upper limit.

Question is will the sensor safe silicone cure out of will there be another o2 sensor failure in the future. I had also used the RTV on the manifold to head gasket as it was recommended on the RTV label (several weeks ago). I guess it is also possible the sensor was damaged during removal and or installation. Not looking forward to R&R and cleaning on the exhaust manifold with everything assembled.

OP
OP
F

firsthere

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Current Fault P0155 O@ Sensor Heater Circuit (Bank2 sensor1)

The Log also has the P0135 for Bank 1 sensor 1

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"I guess it is also possible the sensor was damaged during removal and or installation"

More than likely when the sensor was removed the body was obviously torqued because of completing hot/cold thermal cycles in the exhaust bung. The torquing the body and ultimately the internals of the sensor including the heater winding likely caused the heater windings to overlap and short together which lowers the heater's overall resistance. Ohms law states resistance goes down while voltage stays the same so the current must go UP. She is likely drawing too much current now for warmup. Your measured 24.6 ohms, was that on the heater circuit of the sensor or the 02 sensor part? The only purpose of the heater is to preheat the sensor tip because it takes so long for the exhaust to do it and get it up to temp. This allows the engine to go into closed loop faster. An 02 sensor has to get pretty hot at the tip to give accurate readings of 02.

RTV gasses off fully in 6-12hrs usually. 24hrs for sure. After that then it is no longer a danger to the 02 sensor.

OP
OP
F

firsthere

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The fuse IS blown on the OB2A circuit. The connector for the sensor is above the transmission so I will need to look over the wiring for a pinch in that area along with the sensor separately.

If the silicone has cured out, I guess the exercise of cleaning it from the exhaust connections is not necessary, that is a relief.

Thank's very much for all the information!