Running Sluggish after Tune-up.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1999hoe

aka HOVERHOE
Reaction score
Either the gap is way off a wire is not plugged in or you accidentally pulled a vaccume hose while working on it

OP
OP
95TahoePA

95TahoePA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either the gap is way off a wire is not plugged in or you accidentally pulled a vaccume hose while working on it

I will re-check all that when I get home from work. From what I seen on the rad support it should be @ 35... Also, i will go over all the vacuum lines again. I just cant believe a SIMPLE tune-up became a 3 week chacedown! lmao

OP
OP
95TahoePA

95TahoePA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok.. went over everything again and all plugs are gaped at.035, wires are all snug &no visible vacuum leaks or disconnected lines.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Kinda what I thought. I would not have used platinums in a tbi. Can you get hold of some basic autolite plugs and/or delco parts at all or perhaps have amazon deliver them to you. Also if you still have old parts start by cleaning old plugs and reinstAll them. Process of elimination thing.

OP
OP
95TahoePA

95TahoePA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I played with the timing last night (unplugged the tan w/ black trace wire) and got it running a bit better.... last night at least. This morning went to bring it into work cause it is raining here and cant ride my bike in and well.. no power again so had to take that 35 min ride in the rain on the bike to work.. :(

Anyways, What the truck issues before timing it:
Vacuum was really low and bouncing around
Mark on balancer was WAY outta the ballpark
Oil PSI was up above 40 and at 60 while driving

What we did to correct & what was read:
the person who helped me do some head sratching moved the wires back 2 pins to get it into somewhat better time
the vacuum gauge he had hooked up was at 18psi
mark on balancer is close to the shark teeth (at least was last night, gonna recheck tonight).. Sorry, I keep forgetting what that thing is called besides timing V. Last time I actually timed anything I was 15 and was watching my brother do it to his 72 LeMans/GTO clone.
Oil PSI dropped to 35/40 idle and went up to 40/50 while driving
The only other thing I can tell you is, The motor was replaced at 190K and im thinking that mayyybe the guy didnt take the time to set the distributor correctly. Can someone let me know where #1 is supposed too be stock set-up? next thing we are going to be doing at this point is pull the distributor, reset it to factory setting with motor at TDC 0 deg. My Manual actually doesnt show this in there.

Thanks in advance,
Josh

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
put those wire back where they belong. something is wrong with those parts you put in.

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

crossed wired maybe?

0900c1528008ee23.jpg

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would do what I call a "hard reset" to 0, verify each and every plug wire and the correct rotation and then verify that with a timing light with the tan wire unplugged.

If your vacuum is jumping around you have a vacuum leak somewhere ...

---------- Post added at 12:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 PM ----------

I'll put this out there as well, I know the sticker says .035 for a gap but stock I ran .040 and when I upgraded my entire ignition I was able to jump to .050. No two engines are identical, gas is different, carbon buildup in the combustion chamber, timing, etc can all make a huge difference. Get it running right then play with your plug gaps, I bet you find that you can run a lil wider then .035 ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52