sealed vs. ported

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

strussy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a ported box with 2 12in rockford p3s and a 1000 watt soundstream amp. Never had ported before the nali had a sealed box in my trans am . Now with the ported box the amp shuts off with gains turned half way with the sealed in the t/a had gains up all the way no problems. Any help would be great .

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont think its the box, its either impedance, or voltage.

Remember, ported boxes, the woofers usually require, and handle less power...so really check the manufactures recomendations.

abladeafficionado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a ported box with 2 12in rockford p3s and a 1000 watt soundstream amp. Never had ported before the nali had a sealed box in my trans am . Now with the ported box the amp shuts off with gains turned half way with the sealed in the t/a had gains up all the way no problems. Any help would be great .

That's scary. The gain knob is not a volume knob, it's a way to compensate for differing head unit pre out voltages.

If you don't know how to set gains you probably shouldn't mess with them. Find an expert in your area or learn to set gains with a digital multi meter and then don't touch it. Messing with the gain when you don't know what you're doing is an easy way to let the magic blue smoke out of the amp.

OP
OP
strussy

strussy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Think I might have a bad circut breaker I'm not running a fuse don't real like them cause if ya blow one and ya ain't got one your screwed

abladeafficionado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry bro no disrespect but been doing this for a long time

Just because you've been in this for awhile doesn't mean you're an expert. There's JL, Alpine, etc... certified installers with less knowledge than the average person into audio.

If you're playing it loud while at a stoplight, the voltage coud be dipping below 11V and sending the amp into protect.

Assuming that the amp is running at about 70% efficiency putting out 1000RMS, 1000RMS/12.6V/0.70 ~ a potential 115A draw on the battery (neglecting alternator voltage for simplicity because they don't sag linearly), assuming about 15ft of 4 gauge wire, you can calculate that your setup could cause 1V of voltage sag, that could potentially put your amp into protect once you factor in other feature on the car draining amperage too. Most amps kick in at about 11V.

400W made my Blazer's electrical sag to about 11.6V under really heavy bass at idle, so it's a good possibility that your electrical isn't keeping up.

Combine all of that, and it could be that you need to do the Big 3 upgrade, upgrade your alternator to handle the current, or turn it down at stoplights.

In the audio world, we have a generic assumption that most factory alternators can handle about a 1000RMS draw on them without needing electrical upgrades. So you may be reaching the limits of your electrical right now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
strussy

strussy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have the big three and a 200 amp alternator found out the breaker was bad

---------- Post added at 10:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 AM ----------

Don't matter got my new mmats 1400.1 last night we should be good now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968