Service Engine Soon Light On

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoe97

Reaction score
Just had rotors, drums, brake pads and shoes replaced on my 97 Tahoe, 5.7. Coincidently within a few days the "Service Engine Soon" light came on and has stayed on. I am assuming this is unrelated to the brake service. I also recently replaced the charcoal fuel vapor canister that sits up near the radiator on the opposite side from the battery. I had to splice into the old vacuum line that feeds to the solenoid on the manifold with a used line from a GMC pickup at a salvage yard. Squirrels had chewed through my old line and canister fittings. Is this spliced vacuum line possibly a trigger for the "Service Engine Soon" light or might there be other variables at work? Thanks Forum.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P1441- non purge leak.
Get help here-

OP
OP
Tahoe97

Tahoe97

Reaction score
Could it be the cause, sure....Get a code reader and pull the code(s) and post them here. May have a small leak at that connection.
P1441 code suggests a malfunction of the vapor canister purge valve solenoid. I ordered one ($30) and will install it upon arrival. I checked the vacuum line at the connection to the vapor canister and to the purge valve and I don't see any charcoal particles coming out of the line at either end which could cause this. I had to replace the charcoal canister due to squirrel chewing damage and I pulled the same one out of the 1995 GMC pickup as it matched what was in my 97 Tahoe. That canister may be an issue, who knows. One variable at a time. It is really hard to find an intact vacuum line that matches the OEM one in my Tahoe which is why I had to make that splice. I will continue to scrounge the salvage yards to try to find the exact matching vacuum line.

OP
OP
Tahoe97

Tahoe97

Reaction score
I replaced the EVAP purge valve solenoid with the following part ordered off EBAY Motors. Pictures of the old part are attached to this post. The identical part by part # and manufacturer was installed. I restarted the engine and the Service Engine Soon light remained. I connected my FIXD scan tool and ran the scan and it pulled up the stored code P1441 which is described by FIXD as "EVAP System Flow During Non-Purge Condition". I had FIXD clear the code and run an additional scan and "No Problems Detected" was the result. The Service Engine Soon light is currently off. If it reappears, I will return to this post. Thanks everyone.
EVAP purge solenoid valve 1.jpgEVAP purge solenoid valve 2.jpg

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
After clearing an evap code an evap test or two will need to happen before the code comes back, if it's not fixed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sabastian458