Service Manual

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jforb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always fix my own cars....

First new one we bought was a 99 Silverado, when they first came out. Helm had the Preliminary Service Manual CD available right away, and later I got a paper cope of the Preliminary manual.

But yeah, it would be nice to know how to reset the electronic stuff that flakes out (at under 2k miles).

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always fix my own cars....

First new one we bought was a 99 Silverado, when they first came out. Helm had the Preliminary Service Manual CD available right away, and later I got a paper cope of the Preliminary manual.

But yeah, it would be nice to know how to reset the electronic stuff that flakes out (at under 2k miles).
I haven’t heard of any working on the new electronics but I will say good luck with that. It’s not like the older models where you can buy a Tech2 clone like the dealerships use. I’m fairly certain you won’t ever be able to work on the sophisticated electronics on the 21+. The new service equipment would cost you tens of thousands of dollars, IF you were able to buy it. And then the software is locked anyway. The tuning companies like Hennessy, HPT, Blackbear etc can’t even change the ecm for things like recalibrating the speedo for taller tires much less tune the engine and trans. All the electronic modules are VIN locked.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yep, I highly doubt I will ever buy another gm vehicle newer than 2020, even if I have to run a older one until I croak
unless electric really comes along and it can be deactivated from all the nannies, pretty soon you won't even be able drive over the speed limit and the government will have total control over the vehicle if they see fit, and no I am not wearing a tinfoil hat just stating the facts that are forth coming with legislature in our country and others.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean, we knew it was coming. I saw the signs many years ago. I’m actually surprised it took them this long to lock things down. How’s that new Cali law doing that’s supposed to make it impossible to pass emissions without a stock tune file doing? Is it making it hard to run blowers and turbos?

jforb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not talking about modifying anything, just understanding how it works, so I can fix hardware as needed, and understand where each part gets it's power, etc.

Plus all the normal mechanical work that you need to do on new cars...which is very little, so far.

Engineers see the world differently than normal people :)

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not talking about modifying anything, just understanding how it works, so I can fix hardware as needed, and understand where each part gets it's power, etc.

Plus all the normal mechanical work that you need to do on new cars...which is very little, so far.

It’s all proprietary now. You won’t be able to do that. Every mechanical part is now controlled by a computer, and they don’t want you to be able to read the computers. The days of working on those vehicles in your garage are over. Like I said, on the older vehicles you can buy a Tech2 and look at the modules. Now you can’t. You can do basic maintenance and that’s it.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean, we knew it was coming. I saw the signs many years ago. I’m actually surprised it took them this long to lock things down. How’s that new Cali law doing that’s supposed to make it impossible to pass emissions without a stock tune file doing? Is it making it hard to run blowers and turbos?
I haven't read or heard about it much surprisingly, you would think it would come up on the forum for the people that have done the afm delete, etc but nothing I have seen so far.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

some engineers need a swift kick in the knutsack

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I’ve never purchased a low budget DVD manual online that wasn’t run off Adobe or similar so hyperlinks to an internet site never come into play. The POS laptop I use in the garage never gets connected to the interwebs.

It’s used specifically just for the two DVD manuals run off an Adobe clone and occasionally connected to a printer to reference a breakout diagram or long procedure to use as a checklist.

Do some of the newer, cheapie online manuals sold contain hyperlinks? Sounds sketchy, I’ve not heard of that as it’s been a decades since I last purchased a manual online.

Once it’s in you PC control F shortcut in the Adobe App will search every page quicker than you could with a paper version.

the only issue with the cd/dvd service manuals that are offered online is they are not hyperlinked, so this makes it somewhat frustrating when you see "see section12 blah blah"
without a hyperlink finding that page is not fun…

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve never purchased a low budget DVD manual online that wasn’t run off Adobe or similar so hyperlinks to an internet site never come into play. The POS laptop I use in the garage never gets connected to the interwebs.

It’s used specifically just for the two DVD manuals run off an Adobe clone and occasionally connected to a printer to reference a breakout diagram or long procedure to use as a checklist.

Do some of the newer, cheapie online manuals sold contain hyperlinks? Sounds sketchy, I’ve not heard of that as it’s been a decades since I last purchased a manual online.
a properly hyperlinked .pdf file is linked to it's self, perhaps also to internet, but my point was in the GM service manual is that it should jump to a certain section or page in the manual when it notates it, these online cd's/dvd's are not linked like that, the line is there indicating it will go to said page or section but it wont work.
like it might say see section 12/3 with the underline indicating if you click there it will jump to the page, a normal .pdf file will, these ones are just ocr scanned and have no links

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PGas32