service suspension message (diag?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ReaperHWK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently I have the service suspension message pop up on my dash. It is not always on but intermittent.

The truck is a 2015 Tahoe LTZ with the magnetic ride suspension, car is 100% stock with 150k miles.

For the last year or so when I start the car, I hear a "gurgling" type noise from the rear that lasts for 5-10 seconds and goes away, wonder if that is related? That noise always occurs on startup.

What are common things I should check? Also, my scanner won't read these suspension codes, anyone have a recommendation for a scanner that works to read the suspension code?

Thanks.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the noise is likely the airpump, it should sound like a airpump, such as a smll one you would use to air up a flat tire. the rear shocks have bladders and should feel like a inflated rubber ball, you should be able to squeeze the shocks by hand and they should feel firm, but not rock hard or deflated.
the code will likely tell you exactly what the problem is, just need a tool to read it.
I haven't used this one but it's supposedly a good one and they recently dropped the price a bit

OP
OP
ReaperHWK

ReaperHWK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the noise is likely the airpump, it should sound like a airpump, such as a smll one you would use to air up a flat tire. the rear shocks have bladders and should feel like a inflated rubber ball, you should be able to squeeze the shocks by hand and they should feel firm, but not rock hard or deflated.
the code will likely tell you exactly what the problem is, just need a tool to read it.
I haven't used this one but it's supposedly a good one and they recently dropped the price a bit
Thanks for all this info, it 100% sounds like a faulty airpump noise to me. I'll go under and check the bladders. I didn't know there was an air bladder I just thought the shocks were magnetic ride is all......

Geez that scanner is expensive for what I need; I'll see what Amazon has as well if I can't find an obvious visual problem.......

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all this info, it 100% sounds like a faulty airpump noise to me. I'll go under and check the bladders. I didn't know there was an air bladder I just thought the shocks were magnetic ride is all......

Geez that scanner is expensive for what I need; I'll see what Amazon has as well if I can't find an obvious visual problem.......
Ya with these new trucks the cost for self diagnostics tools has gone up, hard to find a good one that is sub $500 and can do advanced analysis

k_arnold72

Reaction score
I had the same intermittent service suspension message. I took it back to the dealership service center and had them plug into the obd port and give me a print out that pointed me to the location of the issue. In my case it was not a leaky shock, but an open circuit. So I cleaned up the two connectors on that shock, added anti oxidation compound, and the notification has not been back since.

So I would second getting it diagnosed by the proper code reader before possibly misdiagnosing

OP
OP
ReaperHWK

ReaperHWK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same intermittent service suspension message. I took it back to the dealership service center and had them plug into the obd port and give me a print out that pointed me to the location of the issue. In my case it was not a leaky shock, but an open circuit. So I cleaned up the two connectors on that shock, added anti oxidation compound, and the notification has not been back since.

So I would second getting it diagnosed by the proper code reader before possibly misdiagnosing

You recall how much they charged for the diag?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Buy a quality bi-directional scanner, and don't look back. I guarantee you that the scanner will pay for itself many times over what what you will save in diagnostic expenses over the life of your truck. I know that my scanner has paid for itself multiples times over in the 5 years that I've had it.

k_arnold72

Reaction score
No charge, but I'm assuming that was because it was the same dealer I purchased from.

I can't imagine it would cost much, it plugged in and printed out the history of faults in 5 minutes.

You recall how much they charged for the diag?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FRANK ANGEVINE