Severe problems after trans fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

16Escalade32

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2016 Escalade w 130k, no trams issues just following routine maintenance schedule and had the trans fluid and filter changed, not flushed. Now it’s not drivable, slipping, searching for gears but it works fine if I put it in manual. Only out 6 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic in as that’s all that came out? Could something else have gotten messed up while performing this service?

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2016 Escalade w 130k, no trams issues just following routine maintenance schedule and had the trans fluid and filter changed, not flushed. Now it’s not drivable, slipping, searching for gears but it works fine if I put it in manual. Only out 6 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic in as that’s all that came out? Could something else have gotten messed up while performing this service?
Did you do the service or did a shop do it?

OP
OP

16Escalade32

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A mechanic friend of mine did it in his garage, on the side type deal. I hear you are the trans expert and was hoping you would chime in!

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A mechanic friend of mine did it in his garage, on the side type deal. I hear you are the trans expert and was hoping you would chime in!
Please quote my post if you'd like me to respond as I don't get notifications...

Have you informed him of what's been happening after the service?
If so, what did he say?

OP
OP

16Escalade32

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did, he thinks maybe add a quart, disconnect the battery then put a scanner on it. What are your thoughts?
Please quote my post if you'd like me to respond as I don't get notifications...

Have you informed him of what's been happening after the service?
If so, what did he say?

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did, he thinks maybe add a quart, disconnect the battery then put a scanner on it. What are your thoughts?
My thoughts are that maybe he screwed up and is now telling you to fix his mistake. Get the vehicle to operating temp and check fluie level. While doing so, smell the fluid on the dipstick to see if it smells burnt at all.

If you have a scan tool, plug in to grab any codes that may be stored

Report back when done.
Dont drive it yet.

OP
OP

16Escalade32

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Only driven it acouple miles home and parked it, it’s a sealed trans no dipstick. If his ideas don’t work he wants his buddy that

OP
OP

16Escalade32

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve heard from several ppl it sounds like low on fluid and or filter not seated. Now he wants his buddy who owns a trans shop to look at it, my instincts are telling me to take it elsewhere so if he did screw it up someone no bias will tell me honestly what the issue is.
My thoughts are that maybe he screwed up and is now telling you to fix his mistake. Get the vehicle to operating temp and check fluie level. While doing so, smell the fluid on the dipstick to see if it smells burnt at all.

If you have a scan tool, plug in to grab any codes that may be stored

Report back when done.
Dont drive it yet.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve heard from several ppl it sounds like low on fluid and or filter not seated. Now he wants his buddy who owns a trans shop to look at it, my instincts are telling me to take it elsewhere so if he did screw it up someone no bias will tell me honestly what the issue is.
Yep, agree. Take to a reputable shop, one not connected to that guy. Both low fluid and filter not seated (or cracked filter, because he broke it lol).

There's a fill procedure that has to be followed for those transmissions, maybe he didnt follow it.

OP
OP

16Escalade32

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Unhooked battery for 15 minutes, she shifts perfectly. Why I dont know.
Yep, agree. Take to a reputable shop, one not connected to that guy. Both low fluid and filter not seated (or cracked filter, because he broke it lol).

There's a fill procedure that has to be followed for those transmissions, maybe he didnt follow it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
titalizzi