Severe problems after trans fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2001 TX Tahoe

Reaction score
2016 Escalade w 130k, no trams issues just following routine maintenance schedule and had the trans fluid and filter changed, not flushed. Now it’s not drivable, slipping, searching for gears but it works fine if I put it in manual. Only out 6 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic in as that’s all that came out? Could something else have gotten messed up while performing this service?
I had my 2016 Yukon transmission serviced for the first time at 98K miles. Drain, fill, new filter, and deleted thermostat. On they way home from the shop it started running very rough, felt like it was misfiring. Did this about 3 times. Threw a PO171 code. Back to the shop, the code was gone and not stored, he couldn't find anything on his scanner. It was fine after that and it's been about 4K miles since. I wonder if deleting the thermostat caused it to have to relearn something??

Yukon050

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A mechanic friend of mine did it in his garage, on the side type deal. I hear you are the trans expert and was hoping you would chime in!
How about next time dont be cheap to save a few bucks taking it to friends. Stick with reputable shops who will back the work performed.

the blur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You changed tranny fluid after 130,000 mile ??? That's insanity. I won't touch mine because it's never been done, and I have no problems. 120,000 miles... and it's not so pink any more.

whymeintrouble

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You changed tranny fluid after 130,000 mile ??? That's insanity. I won't touch mine because it's never been done, and I have no problems. 120,000 miles... and it's not so pink any more.
So you are going to run sorry trans fluid through your trans for an unknown amount of time. Good news is, probably not going to be too long before you can replace it. Changing fluid does not cause issues, issues are already there.

the blur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you are going to run sorry trans fluid through your trans for an unknown amount of time. Good news is, probably not going to be too long before you can replace it. Changing fluid does not cause issues, issues are already there.
Google the amount of trans failures after changing high mileage fluid.

2001 TX Tahoe

Reaction score
I had my 2016 Yukon transmission serviced for the first time at 98K miles. Drain, fill, new filter, and deleted thermostat. On they way home from the shop it started running very rough, felt like it was misfiring. Did this about 3 times. Threw a PO171 code. Back to the shop, the code was gone and not stored, he couldn't find anything on his scanner. It was fine after that and it's been about 4K miles since. I wonder if deleting the thermostat caused it to have to relearn something??

As a side note, my transmission was replaced at 50K.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sampler73

Latest posts