Should I buy a 2008 GMC Yukon with blown flex fuel engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skycomas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just looking for some advice. I know the owner of this fully loaded Yukon. It has the bad engine and would need a new/used engine installed. My question is should I do this. I've read that you can plug in $200 chip that will keep the engine in V8 mode and will disable the AFM. I don't do much driving so having a big ride would be nice for the little driving I do. I'm told a used engine installed would be about 3-4k parts labor. I can probabaly get the Yukon for about $1500. Thoughts? Advice? Thanks!!!

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
2008 Yukon for $1500? yes. Dont see how thats possible unless the whole thing is beat to shit. Its nothing big to swap a motor, but what else is wrong with it for $1500?

OP
OP
S

skycomas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
the inside is totally trashed. The body is good tiny bit of rust, small crack in front bumper, never really washed well or waxed, but no body damage, new tires last year. The leather is not ripped at all, but 4 kids, dogs just filthy, but aside from not getting stains out of the carpets, I think it could be cleaned up really well. leather, NAV, DVD, sunroof, back up cam totally loaded. Yuppy pal just wants it gone. I'm concerned about the flex fuel engines, is there a good place with warranties to buy used engines online?

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
for what youd have in it, you could get one from GM with a warranty and still own it waaaaaaay less than its worth.

OP
OP
S

skycomas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
for what youd have in it, you could get one from GM with a warranty and still own it waaaaaaay less than its worth.

Right, I could be 7-8k into it and it would be worth about 12k right?

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Hell yea! I would. You can't buy one that year price wise even if you do decide to drop a motor into it.

OP
OP
S

skycomas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
new tires last year, no engine currently so tough to say how the rest would be, but your right, it's a gamble. I'm just attempting to mitigate risk if possible. I've looked at websites that say their used $2,800 engines have a 5 year warranty....but curious what that really means. I'm also curious if an engine with higher miles would be better than one with low (rationale being that lower would have yet to experience problems while higher mileage would indicate engine will not have these issues?)

thirdcoast

Supporting Member
Reaction score
GM Crate engine from GMpartsonline.com =$5200.00 NEW ENGINE with warranty.

Part Number 19259918
Part Name ENGINE
MSRP $5,962.50
Core
$0.00
Online Price
$5,342.40

Only way to go in my book..

about20ninj45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you pass on it let me know. I'd pick it up and give you a finder's fee if the price is right. You can engines cheaper than that. I'd put in a 6.0 minimum or a 6.2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amada