Should I buy this Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
it may not have it as it looks to be a LS without a dic.

163_0707_photos_08z+2008_chevrolet_tahoe_hybrid+interior_view.jpg

Notice under the shifter there are a set of buttons, one of them can be pressed muitiple times and it will display the Number of hours that the Engine has total actually running. That is if it has that option

OP
OP
rolfsent

rolfsent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sumo said:
it may not have it as it looks to be a LS without a dic.

Notice under the shifter there are a set of buttons, one of them can be pressed muitiple times and it will display the Number of hours that the Engine has total actually running. That is if it has that option

Okay, and what is a decent amount of time forth is engine to have?

taylorjm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, and what is a decent amount of time forth is engine to have?

Well, once you have the engine hours, you can divide it out and see what the average miles per hour the engine was driven. That will tell you how much idling it's done verses actual driving, and city or highway driving.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
since it was a law enforcement vehicle it idled a lot since thats what cops tend to do when they feel lazy and take a nap on the side of the road. does it have signs of vinyl stickers left? my explorer was a work truck and u can notice the caution in the back

OP
OP
rolfsent

rolfsent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gzes said:
since it was a law enforcement vehicle it idled a lot since thats what cops tend to do when they feel lazy and take a nap on the side of the road. does it have signs of vinyl stickers left? my explorer was a work truck and u can notice the caution in the back

It was an unmarked car, so no holes on the roof for a light bar either. Like I said the only cosmetic flaw I found was a 2 inch scratch on the rear passenger side door, and it looks like it would just buff out.

---------- Post added at 11:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 PM ----------

So far I'm the high bidder at $5001 lol

BP RETIRED

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My city auction has a 2008 Tahoe 2x4 PPV with 101k miles for sale. It's black on black and is in pretty good condition. It has been very well maintained and is extremely clean, even the engine compartment is spotless. The village where it was used is a really rich area so they kept this thing nice. I'm just wondering how much I should pay for this, bidding starts at $5,000.

Looks like its worth a try. Id say the bidding may go up, poss to 12k to 14k...but hey..you have to try. Nada values the car at rough trade in at 16,950.
A couple of things I would do if you can is take a picture of the RPO codes in the glove compartment. These codes can tell you how the agency wanted the Tahoe built for them. Some codes include rear window delete, rear door exit delete and so on. Essentially rendering the rear doors and windows inoperable at all. Id also look closely at the instrument cluster and see if any type of sticker/tape has been on the cluster. Some PPV Tahoes I researched you could see where a sticker was over the check engine light and TPMS lights. Id even try to get them to start it up for you if you can. The PPV's also include a list of other added items. Some that I know are, transmission fluid cooler, engine oil cooler, larger alternator ect... Some come with dual batteries running in parallel. With this one at 101k your Fleet 100k power train warranty is now done. So you would be on your own in that regard.
I know some steer clear of prior used police autos. But I was just not willing to pay 17k for a 07 4x4 Tahoe with around 90 to 120k on the odometer. This is the price that I have run into when doing my research for a used Tahoe. My Tahoe, prior Border Patrol, is a 08 4x4 with 60k on the odometer. For the price I got it for you could not go wrong. Researching a 08 with same miles and features would have cost me around 24k to 27k. That was out of my budget and to be candid I just dont pay that much for a car. Especially when you lose a good percentage just driving it off the lot.
Shoot me a PM if you have any other questions. I have spent almost the last year researching PPV and SSV Tahoes and know just about enough to get me into trouble.

OP
OP
rolfsent

rolfsent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BP RETIRED said:
Looks like its worth a try. Id say the bidding may go up, poss to 12k to 14k...but hey..you have to try. Nada values the car at rough trade in at 16,950.
A couple of things I would do if you can is take a picture of the RPO codes in the glove compartment. These codes can tell you how the agency wanted the Tahoe built for them. Some codes include rear window delete, rear door exit delete and so on. Essentially rendering the rear doors and windows inoperable at all. Id also look closely at the instrument cluster and see if any type of sticker/tape has been on the cluster. Some PPV Tahoes I researched you could see where a sticker was over the check engine light and TPMS lights. Id even try to get them to start it up for you if you can. The PPV's also include a list of other added items. Some that I know are, transmission fluid cooler, engine oil cooler, larger alternator ect... Some come with dual batteries running in parallel. With this one at 101k your Fleet 100k power train warranty is now done. So you would be on your own in that regard.
I know some steer clear of prior used police autos. But I was just not willing to pay 17k for a 07 4x4 Tahoe with around 90 to 120k on the odometer. This is the price that I have run into when doing my research for a used Tahoe. My Tahoe, prior Border Patrol, is a 08 4x4 with 60k on the odometer. For the price I got it for you could not go wrong. Researching a 08 with same miles and features would have cost me around 24k to 27k. That was out of my budget and to be candid I just dont pay that much for a car. Especially when you lose a good percentage just driving it off the lot.
Shoot me a PM if you have any other questions. I have spent almost the last year researching PPV and SSV Tahoes and know just about enough to get me into trouble.

Thanks a lot for your input and advice, I was beginning to think everyone was against a used police vehicle. I'd be willing to to get it for around 11 or 12k so hopefully it ends around there. I'll check out those codes tomorrow possibly. I'll be sure to pm you if I have some questions, which I'm sure I will.

Tibo77

Reaction score
I hope he's right, I do know this, regardless of Tahoe, Crown Vic, etc etc, working patrol, these vehicles get the living daylights flogged out of them on a regular basis unless you're lucky enough to get an administrator's vehicle. My Tahoe was a rental from Enterprise I "think" and it's got that faint tic tic of the lifters or rocker arms at idle. I hate that. Every now and then about every 8 to 10 start ups, it has a very pronounced tic tic to the point I always triple check Oil Pressure. Hope you do good buying it though. Looks like a nice hoe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shughes022

Latest posts