Should I get 5% tint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sticks

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had 5% on my impala. It was difficult to see at night.

I haven't decided what to get on my tahoe. I will probably go 5% all the way around.

BananaHANDS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And I guess it wouldn't help if I told the officer im a Criminal Justice major either lol :hmm:

Most certainly not, there is a very fine line between talking your way out of a ticket, and talking your way into a ticket.

sticks

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Around here DPS would give you a ticket for mentioning you are a criminal justice major. Texas has been cracking down on tint. Ask your local inspection station. They made it very clear this year that only vehicles maintained by a law enforcement agency would be exempt.

M3PO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most police officers don't like to walk up to a vehicle they cannot see in, so some write window tickets when they can. I don't have tinted front doors, but when I did get pulled over, I lowered the rear windows to let more light in and kept my hands on the wheel; they are much nicer when they are not worried about what can go wrong.
Years ago I had all my cars tinted in front and got tired of police cars whipping a u-turn in the late hours just to write me another ticket.

abladeafficionado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my state I have to maintain 35% tint up front and it appears that there's no law on rear tint. I have a 2001 Denali, did they ship with factory tint up front? The rear window says 18% minimum I think or something like that on the tinting, so it's probably around 22-25% so GM can cover themselves and be cautious be overrating it.

I'd like to get my front tinted at 35%, or 50% if 35% will be legally too dark. When it's 100º here in the summer I'd like the tint more to keep some heat out than to look cool. A friend of mine has a Benz with 5% rear and 20% up front and his car stays much cooler throughout the day, so I'm hoping 35% up front will help keep it cool.

Does anybody have any experience with the light tints up front and noticed a difference in temperature after sitting in the sun? If 35% is too dark, will 50% even make a difference?

Max

Mile High
Reaction score
I can't see shit at night with 5% all around, going to 15% on all windows and 35% on the windshield + a 2din with backup camera.

micsand21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
IMO 5% looks good but not legal in most states(on front windows) and is hard to see out of at night...

This statement is very accurate! I had 5% on my 2002 Tahoe and it was a nightmare at night. If you are backing up, good luck, because you can't see anything at night. Even through the side windows. I would have to lift the rear window to back out of driveways ( if cars were around).

It's a good look to the vehicle but not safe. I'm sure that is why it's illegal most places.

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 PM ----------

And definitely don't tell Police officers personal information about yourself that doesn't affect them. They won't care if you are a Criminal Justice major. They will just say "Well, you should know better than to have illegal tint then".

Someone else mentioned police not being able to see in your vehicle while stopped. They always think you are hiding things from them. If you do get pulled over, roll all windows down before they come up to your window but do it before they get out of their car...it might look suspicious to them if you are rolling all windows down right as they approach your Tahoe. Good luck.

Canuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i hope you guys all enjoy yout dark tint! had my front windows done yesterday, legal limit here is 50%, its a joke

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HIGHHOPES