Side molding removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2005SnowKon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IS there anything special i need to know about removing the side molding on my 2005 Yukon? Is the paint going to be alot brighter in the area where the molding was. Should i just take a heat gun to it? Would that help

yukondoit

Stay Classy
Reaction score
Takng a heat gun to it would help, all that does is it makes the adhesize/moldings come off easier.
Once you got them off, you can get some adhesize remover and go at it manually. Or I would highly recommend that you get a 3m adhesize removal wheel. Basically a big rubber eraser that you attach to a drill. That makes the removal extremely fast.
That should be it. Oh yeah, my paint was the same shade, it wasn't darker or anything like that.

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Takng a heat gun to it would help, all that does is it makes the adhesize/moldings come off easier.
Once you got them off, you can get some adhesize remover and go at it manually. Or I would highly recommend that you get a 3m adhesize removal wheel. Basically a big rubber eraser that you attach to a drill. That makes the removal extremely fast.
That should be it. Oh yeah, my paint was the same shade, it wasn't darker or anything like that.

X2. Heat gun and 3M wheel will make things much easier.

chamillionTC

Reaction score
Don't forget to give the areas a nice wash, polish, & wax when you are done. That way it'll look like the moldings were never there. This is how mine turned out with the Yukon XL's obnoxious huge chrome moldings:

b7315ed0.jpg

Mikeyk1337

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just did this yesterday and I have about all the glue off but there is a line I guess it is oxidization around where the edges were. what gets this off? It's a black 05 Yukon.

firehill

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did this a few months ago to my 02 Yukon XL. Hairdryer, strong fishing string, and bug & tar. Worked great and too me, looks so much better. Wasn't planning on debadging but after i got through with the molding, kept on going.

Attachments

• mobile downloads 551.jpg
    mobile downloads 551.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 46
  • mobile downloads 572.jpg
    mobile downloads 572.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 48
  • mobile downloads 574.jpg
    mobile downloads 574.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 47

The 'ER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why does General Motors use such cheap and ugly moldings? They just don't match adn make the truck look bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968