slight engine resonance through steering wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TommyS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone, new member here. After lurking for awhile, I finally signed on. So far I like this site a lot, and have found the community very helpful before I made a purchase.

I just purchased a 2024 Tahoe LS which is only a few weeks old, Only has a few hundred miles on her. I have been noticing a very slight resonance coming through the steering wheel at certain speeds. Most of the time it is very faint, but it’s there. I mostly feel it while accelerating, but only at certain speeds. I think it’s engine or tranny sound making its way through the steering column. It’s usually felt above 40 mph, and it happens when the engine is in a lower gear. If i’m on the highway doing 65, and then lightly accelerate, it can be felt. Maybe some will say this is normal, I don’t know. I would not call it a vibration. It’s a slight resonance. The steering and alignment feel normal. It’s a minor annoyance but i want to address it. Its a new Truck!! LOL!

Can anyone chime in about this? I plan on getting it checked when in for my first service. what do you guys think? Thank you for any help you can provide.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I cannot personally assist you with your issue, but other members of this Forum much more knowledgeable than me in this area will chime in.

15burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible what you're feeling is the engine not running on all 8 cylinders? When you're barely on the throttle I'd assume it shuts down some cylinders and probably doesn't run as smoothly as if all 8 were firing.

What rpm range or ranges is it doing it at? If you're giving it a lot of throttle when it's doing it then disregard what I wrote above.

OP
OP
T

TommyS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I cannot personally assist you with your issue, but other members of this Forum much more knowledgeable than me in this area will chime in.

Joe, Thanks for reaching out. I’m gonna get some pics up of the new ride shortly. Looking forward to learning about and discussing these beautful machines. Thank you!

OP
OP
T

TommyS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is it possible what you're feeling is the engine not running on all 8 cylinders? When you're barely on the throttle I'd assume it shuts down some cylinders and probably doesn't run as smoothly as if all 8 were firing.

What rpm range or ranges is it doing it at? If you're giving it a lot of throttle when it's doing it then disregard what I wrote above.

Your right. I only feel the engine noise with a lighter throttle. If I’m on the highway coasting at 65, and then lightly accelerate to pass another car, I can feel it resonate through the steering wheel. So it’s probably happening in the higher gear. When I accelerate, it matches the rhythm of the engine. I’m sure it’s not something serious, but it is a little annoying, and I don’t think it should be happening.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your right. I only feel the engine noise with a lighter throttle.
If I’m on the highway coasting at 65, and then lightly accelerate to pass another car, I can feel it resonate through the steering wheel.
So it’s probably happening in the higher gear. When I accelerate, it matches the rhythm of the engine.
I’m sure it’s not something serious, but it is a little annoying, and I don’t think it should be happening.
If your engine has the Cylinder Confusion feature, it should be happening.
That said, if you are FEELING it, that is a Noise Vibration Harshness flaw,
and it should've been pre-addressed by GM during assembly, well before reaching the showroom.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your right. I only feel the engine noise with a lighter throttle. If I’m on the highway coasting at 65, and then lightly accelerate to pass another car, I can feel it resonate through the steering wheel. So it’s probably happening in the higher gear. When I accelerate, it matches the rhythm of the engine. I’m sure it’s not something serious, but it is a little annoying, and I don’t think it should be happening.
I can only suggest driving another same model at the dealer and see if it does the same, if not then be a squeaky wheel
could be the engine dfm, transmission, driveshaft, tires,,,,,,,,

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does that model have the readout in the DIC that shows the V8 and V4 modes in use? There is some abnormal vibration when under load those 4 cylinders are struggling to pull that 3 ton machine.

OP
OP
T

TommyS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don’t think I have that feature in the DIC. I’m gonna check. I can say that it always happens, while accelerating between 1500 and 1700 rpms no matter what speed i’m doing. It’s really starting to tick me off. I mean the truck only has 500 miles on it. I just hope it’s not that big of a deal to fix. At any other rpm range, it’s smooth. I was gonna wait to bring it in during my first oil change, but maybe i’ll bring it in sooner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Malachismith