Smoked corners and tails help...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BennyR72

BennyR72

Reaction score
I've done and re-done it like 3 times now with VHT Night Shade and keep getting cracks in the paint after the 1st coat. Here's what I've done:

1st Attempt:
Cleaned with carb cleaner then washed with regular dish soap.
Dried and wet sanded with 1500

2nd Attempt:
Sanded with 320 to get the old coat off.
Washed with carb cleaner and dish soap
Dried and wet sanded with 1500

3rd Attempt:
Sanded with 320 again!
Washed with carb cleaner and soap again!
Dried and painted (no wet sand this time)

It got a little better after the 3rd try, but i'm still getting cracks on the bottom corners.

Anyone else had this problem/figured out a solution?

riviera rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you guys can do it you can ship me your lights and ill black them out with intercoat clear mixed with black base then with 3 coats of clear over them so you can wetsand and buff them anytime u want

50$ a set let me know only take me a day to do and then i can ship them out the day after painting them

did my tahoe both tails and 3rd brake light

i can either mask of the reverse or black it out like on mine

0524001009.jpg

TheBigler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need help. I bought a pair of taillights from a junk yard to tint out using VHT. I prepped them by cleaning them with a restoration kit then wet sanded them with 1500 grade paper and washed them off. I laid the first base coat and let it dry inside my garage but 15 minutes later when I came back the paint was all cracked and looked like ass. I sanded it down with a higher grade then repainted them. I did this two more times and its getting better progressively. Any advice as to what I’m doing wrong or how I can fix this faster???

riviera rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whats happening is the paint is "lifting" its due to either the paint not wanting to stick to the plastic, or something on the plastic

ive heard many people say the same thing about using vht, which is why i offered to do everyones the right way with a transparent black coat and 3 coats of clear, no cracking, no fading, and u can even wetsand and buff them

Tankball

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
if you guys can do it you can ship me your lights and ill black them out with intercoat clear mixed with black base then with 3 coats of clear over them so you can wetsand and buff them anytime u want

50$ a set let me know only take me a day to do and then i can ship them out the day after painting them

did my tahoe both tails and 3rd brake light

i can either mask of the reverse or black it out like on mine

Yo man I am definitely interested in this. Could you make them more of a "smoke" color instead of all the way black? Like a dark grey or whatever. If you can send me a private message with your contact info and we can work something out.

Thanks man

95tahoe

Reaction score
any updates thebigler? im having the same problem. i think it may have to do with possibly to heavy of coats but im still barely putting any on. i wet sanded with 2000 followed by a clean with rubbing alcohal then vht.

nickyg1478

Reaction score
I used VHT Niteshade and wetsanded it thoroughly beforehand. I put on around 8 or 9 coats to get it really dark and did not bother with a clear coat. Turned out great-looking.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had some ugly old tails that were a gift so I did my best to paint them to match...I miss my stockers though.

Before:
Truck4-18-09011.jpg

After:
IMG_6143.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBRKPRO