So what would happen if...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atreuce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I had 12v going to the factory harness? I know it's not live in the harness itself, but if I had 12v going back through it, as well as the illum wire hooked up on the harness... Could it cause issues?

Such as most of my LEDs dying out; my overhead lights dim when my truck is idling; windows being really sluggish to go up; and me getting shocked randomly?

When my dog rides with me she gets in the back, and shocks me with her nose sometimes =\

I'm just trying to figure out if I need to have a professional go through the wires, or if my little screwup there will work itself out now that it's hooked up right.

Mighty Mouse

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, how are you and the dog getting shocked inside the vehicle? There really isn't that much metal that you come in contact with inside. Even if you have 12 volts going through the harness it would have to be shorted out somewhere. My Jeep has a big issue with wiring and a short someplace. Plug a fuze into the reverse light circuit and it will shut the engine off and turn the abs light on. Also the computer goes dead everytime it's shut off. So everytime I start it the computer resets and it won't store any codes. Even with all that I still don't get shocked and there is no carpet in it.

OP
OP
Atreuce

Atreuce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know.. anyone who rides will get shocked. Front seat, or back. It's pretty weird, and I hate getting shocked =\

I'm going to check my amp ground tomorrow, and go from there.

danniboi

Reaction score
Are you thinking if you hook up two live 12volts? you'd get 24volts and more "power" that wouldn't be true, you'd blow a fuse.

OP
OP
Atreuce

Atreuce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The red wire, and illum wire in the stock harness are dead - i was running power to it, and read the red may be a data wire. I was worried about sending voltage to something that shouldn't be getting voltage.

I think I just have a ground issue.. but we'll see.

danniboi

Reaction score
Check your fuses, those wires should have power. if your fuse is blown and you replace it and it pops immediately then it is makinc contact somewhere with something it shouldn't.

OP
OP
Atreuce

Atreuce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I understand the red wire in the radio harness is supposed to be dead.. Same with illum... at least that's what my audio guy told me.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i took a look at my deck and the hot lead or power wire is orange wich would have a constant 12 volts the red wire in the harness is for one of the speakers
and the ground wire im told is either black or white mine is black

so yes thats correct the red wire should be dead unless its connected to a speaker

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968