Sold my new tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was funny, reading thru the comments. Nit picking about spelling, saying valves when they meant lifters and arguing about paying $85k and expecting better service than someone that paid say $50k for a different rig with the same engine in it. One guy chiming in and asking for someone to be NICE!!!!!!!!

It takes all kinds. :rolleyes:
Lol yep I read thru comments.

jwp2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought a new Tahoe in June and then i find out that they are having lifter problems. I talked to the service manager at the dealership and he said they had 12 in so far with that problem. After hearing that I lost my confindence in this vehicle when taking it on trips, so I sold it one month later with only 800 miles on it.
That’s a shame. As soon as I bought mine, I bought the OBD device to disable the cylinder deactivation. I have 42k miles in 18 months. No issues

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about the lifter issue as our '08 has been pretty good but it always amazes me that when manufacturer's get things right they go ahead and mess with them and make problems. It seems to be across the board with manufacturers. After Jeep went to a new major owners group, to be left unnamed, we had a (our last) Grand Cherokee that needed new differentials every 10,000 miles because of the "new" carrier design implemented by the new company. That was after we owned three previous Grand Cherokees that were without issue. "If it ain't broke, break it" just because some factory Engineer convinces the bosses that he has an idea that might justify his existence. And I write that as a retired Engineer. I sympathise with those with the engine problem; It has to be heartbreaking to buy a new vehicle that costs more than it did to build my house and have this happen.

Last edited:

steve45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I don't understand the problem. I usually one or two calls a day offering an extended warranty on my vehicles--and they don't even know what they are!

Tayers

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought a new Tahoe in June and then i find out that they are having lifter problems. I talked to the service manager at the dealership and he said they had 12 in so far with that problem. After hearing that I lost my confindence in this vehicle when taking it on trips, so I sold it one month later with only 800 miles on it.
I don’t blame you. Lifter failure for us at 7,000 miles. No loaner available. Had to borrow a family member’s car to go on planned vaca. We travel a lot, and I have no confidence in the car. Spent months back and forth with GM just to get the warranty extended.

tombstone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I really think this lifter concern is blown way out of proportion. Does it worry me as an owner, yes. Would I sell my vehicle becasue if it, no chance. That's an extreme move for something that has not and will not affect the majority of owners. Speaking from personal experience, no issues with mine and it was built during the supposed "bad batch" window. I now personally know 3 other owners also none of which have experienced the issue. Sorry to the unfortunate few who have had the failure, but to all other owners or prospective owners, don't be a victim of internet paranoia. These new rigs are world class and you're missing out if you're not in one.
Just hit 10k (2021 GMC Denali 6.2) on trip to Iowa from Colorado. It’s been up and down the contenental divide multiple times with no issues. Runs and drive great, couldn’t be happier with my purchase.

Last edited:

Sam I am

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought a 21 High Country Burb with the 6.2 in June and we now have 8,000 miles on it after a multiple road trips...the longest being Fargo to Moab to Salt Lake to Fargo again. It's been an awesome truck, but I wish I hadn't paid for the rear infotainment system. It didn't want to play nice as we're also an iPhone family. Having come out of our 2014 LTZ the 6.2 is a rocket. It's my wife's rig and she's extremely happy!

I should also add that I run the fleet for my company and we run GM and Chevy. We've only got a few 21's out there but we did have the lifters go on one of the trucks, they only replace one bank...sure enough it was right back in the shop 2 weeks later when the other bank failed.

Gibby13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t blame you. Lifter failure for us at 7,000 miles. No loaner available. Had to borrow a family member’s car to go on planned vaca. We travel a lot, and I have no confidence in the car. Spent months back and forth with GM just to get the warranty extended.
That is crazy. We were on vacation when our lifters went. They also had no loaners and no large SUV's for rent. They rented us 2 regular SUV's. That was almost 3 weeks ago and we still have both the rentals.