Sooooooo, I bought a PPV ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A buddy did the rollers for me, I shoot antiquated DSLR stuff (with mirror)......I'm a Canon guy. For all my still shots, I am using a 1D Mark IV and primarily a Canon 100-400 L lens. For these rollers, Mike is a mirrorless Sony guy, I think......I'd have to check.
I switched to Sony last year, from Nikon. Totally worth it. The image stabilization is crazy good. I have both the a7r4 and the a7r5. I don't wanna clog your thread with my junk.

Excellent job, both stills and the rollers

vsp4717

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Interesting!

I did not know that, have a part number by chance? I'll try to look it up later if not, no worries.
It will depend on the original wiring on your Hoe. I have a 2014 and I looked into this. Requires a 2015 or newer wiring harness to be plug & play. But don't give up - I found a very nice alternative that uses the current wires and has TWO USB connections. It went in one of the 12v sockets and looks factory when you are done. You will have to enlarge the opening a very small amount, but the entire install was 15 minutes. Here's a link to it:
Rydonair Aluminum 4.2A Dual USB... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CJW3ZRP?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

OP
OP
RichardCranium

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will depend on the original wiring on your Hoe. I have a 2014 and I looked into this. Requires a 2015 or newer wiring harness to be plug & play. But don't give up - I found a very nice alternative that uses the current wires and has TWO USB connections. It went in one of the 12v sockets and looks factory when you are done. You will have to enlarge the opening a very small amount, but the entire install was 15 minutes. Here's a link to it:
Rydonair Aluminum 4.2A Dual USB... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CJW3ZRP?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Good stuff. Do you have a picture of it installed, the finished product? I'd like to see it, I definitely would do if it looked pretty close to factory.

OP
OP
RichardCranium

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went ahead and picked up the USB adapter that @vsp4717 mentioned, got it installed today. If y'all have read this thread so far, you know I like to photo document. Mainly so anyone else with less experience can see what it would take to do some of these things. This was pretty simple, honestly the hardest part of this was getting the faceplate trim out from around the radio (always fear scratching or cracking it). But it just takes some patience and a few pry tools to pop each fastener.

My setup prior to today: left was/is a traditional cigarette lighter socket, the right side was a USB into for AndroidAuto. That USB socket used to run directly into the back of my Alpine iLX-650 for that easy access to plug my phone in. Why Alpine put the socket on the back? Who TF knows. But I installed a Moto AndroidAuto wireless dongle in there and haven't looked back. Wireless AndroidAuto FTW.

20240907_123319.jpg

Gathered the tools I'd need to pop off the faceplate trim.

20240907_123658.jpg

Faceplate off, HVAC and lower insert removed.

20240907_124526.jpg

Located the power plug I removed from the passenger side cigarette lighter socket (where I installed the USB for the head unit).

20240907_124538.jpg

Since it wasn't plug and play, it was a simple snip of the power/ground and some male spade connectors crimped in place. Plugged it in, KOEO, works great.

OP
OP
RichardCranium

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@vsp4717 was right, not much room was needed to get this socket to fit. In fact, if the factory faceplate was thinner, this USB hub would actually thread in. The barrel of the hub fits perfectly into the opening, here is the "just the tip" teaser.

20240907_131303.jpg

So, I had to come up with a way to gain more clearance and make sure to keep the socket opening 'round'. I found an 18mm socket would work great.

20240907_132313.jpg

I had some sandpaper with velcro backing, for a sanding block. I grabbed some 80grit and wrapped the socket went to work. Normally I don't wrap it.....doesn't feel natural.

20240907_133439.jpg

Here it is after I pulled out. Awwwww yeah......grab a rag.

20240907_132513.jpg

The socket came with a locking right you can thread on, but with the center pocket in that lower trim panel, there is no way it would fit on all the way. If you could get it on, it would certainly be crooked. And this USB socket won't sit "flat" on the face, unless you clearanced a little of the shoulder of the face itself. I didn't mind the ~2mm gap, since the rubber grommet/cover for the USB outlets sort of filled it.

So I test fit the socket, and determined I could sand off 2 of the knuckles on the retainer ring. I could still thread the ring on, but would have the sanded side butt against the center pocket. This would also give me a place to super glue the retaining ring to that center pocket.

20240907_133906.jpg

OP
OP
RichardCranium

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the end result, of the back of that socket secured.

20240907_135307.jpg

Forgive me for the subject being out of focus. I now have super glue over both thumbs, both index fingers, and a few more phalanges. I haven't used super glue in so long, it shows. :lol2:

Front side, all buttoned up.

20240907_135259.jpg

20240907_140341.jpg

20240907_140406.jpg

20240907_140414.jpg

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, I can tell yah one thing, I sure do appreciate your photo documenting everything. Anything with wires makes me weary haha. That is coming from an electronically challenged induvial :)
I appreciate all of your posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigRed23