Sounds Like Lifter Tick but Rockers All Moving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

solli5pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First step is you're gonna need a good scanner that shows live data. Then check for misfires which you probably don't have or the check engine light would be on.After that usual troubleshooting steps on engine performance. I would think analyzing fuel trims would be next. If your gonna keep the truck continue your d.o.d delete research using only high quality parts. Also run the engine with the belt off to make sure an accessory isn't the cause of the ticking.

OP
OP
N

nickbeckss

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. I definitely have some more research ahead of me.

I’ve looked at the DOD delete options but unfortunately live in CA and it’s a bit uncertain around whether passing smog is doable.

For the NOID test, that would tell me that the injector is getting the right power but won’t tell me if the injector itself is bad, right? I guess my questioning the injector is whether a bad/clogged injector could cause such a loud ticking sound?

Also, with a failed lifter is it possible that the rockers would still be rocking?

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. I definitely have some more research ahead of me.

I’ve looked at the DOD delete options but unfortunately live in CA and it’s a bit uncertain around whether passing smog is doable.

For the NOID test, that would tell me that the injector is getting the right power but won’t tell me if the injector itself is bad, right? I guess my questioning the injector is whether a bad/clogged injector could cause such a loud ticking sound?

Also, with a failed lifter is it possible that the rockers would still be rocking?
A lot of times the tick is warning and if rocker is not moving its bent push rod or has ruined that lob on cam and all that metal has worked its way thru lubrication system.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

mine passed smog with a tune, they didn't even blink sideways at it.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Feel the rocker arm while Idling. If you can hear it you can feel it.

hagar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A customer brought me a 2015 last year with a tick and rough idle. Did compression test, pulled the valve cover and watched the rocker movement, and everything checked out perfectly. When I took it apart the cam lobe on number 4 was slightly pitted. You would never think it would be enough to cause a rough idle or tick, but it did. It was such a minor amount of damage that I was still a little nervous firing it up after the dod delete, but sure enough, it fixed it.

Ebaile5

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2017 GMC Yukon 5.3L with 72k miles developed a tick very recently, noticeable sluggish performance but no check engine light. As I researched I discovered the dreaded collapsed lifter issue, read a lot, watched lots of videos and have my parts list compiled to get everything ordered. A couple things keeping me from moving forward with a lifter job…

As I worked through diagnostics I noticed a rodent had chewed into the fuel injector wiring for cylinder 2 pretty bad. Getting that fixed was a must and I read that injectors can tick so I replaced that harness but the ticking persists. One noticeable change after replacing the fuel injector harness is that when starting the engine initially idles fine, although still ticking, but slowly starts to bog down after 30-45 seconds and have a rough idle. Before the repair with the chewed wire the idle was consistent, without bogging down. I’m not sure why the repaired harness would cause that behavior?… in any case is it possible the injector wire shorting caused an injector to go bad and is it possible that might be the ticking sound?

I also checked for exhaust manifold leaks and don’t see any signs of that (no broken studs, no black soot), so I don’t think that’s the cause…

When using a stethoscope the loudest noise is on the top of the passenger side valve cover above cylinder 2 and 4 so pointing to a lifter or rocker issue.

The reason I’m looking into other possibilities besides a failed lifter is that when I remove the passenger side valve cover and start the engine all the rockers are moving which is unlike several videos I’ve seen where the rocker with the failed lifter either doesn’t move at all or has considerably less range of motion.

Would a failed lifter that’s ticking still result in the rockers having a full range of motion? Is it possible I’ve got a rocker ticking? Failed injector? something else?

Any ideas are appreciated.
The front fuel pump is under the intake manifold and it will make a ticking noise too.
I would put a socket on all the exhaust manifold bolts and tighten them. Just because you don’t see any soot doesn’t mean they aren’t loose. I just did this on mine and half of them were loose on each side and the noise went away. I’ll keep checking them every oil change until I get my headers. As for your harness repair did you cut and solder the wires back together or did you just tape up the chewed area? If you only taped it you could have broken the wires in the process and the injector is not working.

OP
OP
N

nickbeckss

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The front fuel pump is under the intake manifold and it will make a ticking noise too.
I would put a socket on all the exhaust manifold bolts and tighten them. Just because you don’t see any soot doesn’t mean they aren’t loose. I just did this on mine and half of them were loose on each side and the noise went away. I’ll keep checking them every oil change until I get my headers. As for your harness repair did you cut and solder the wires back together or did you just tape up the chewed area? If you only taped it you could have broken the wires in the process and the injector is not working.

I’ll check the manifold. As for the harness, I replaced it with a new one… it’s a small piece, part 12707877

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
starnuts28

Latest posts