Spare Tire part of the safety system?...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilverSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anyone know if GM uses the spare tire on our GMT800s as part of the rear safety system???...by this I mean is the spare used to protect occupants at all in our vehicles???...

I've recently replaced my 17" wheels and tires with those from a 2024 GMC Yukon Denali in the 20" sizes so my spare isn't the right size anymore...further, it is still the OE spare and the tire would/should be replaced as it is probably dry rotted and I know the wheel is rusty as is the spare mounting system...

is it safe to just remove the spare altogether and take my chances with getting a flat and save the weight of the spare wheel and tire or the cost of replacing my spare with a larger spare tire and wheel???

any experience you care to share would be appreciated.

Bill

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not so sure it’s designed for protection but I guess it wouldn’t hurt if you ran over a buffalo going backwards. Always keep a spare with you.

Check the diameter of your new tires vs your spare. You can get used tires cheap. Look for one that is the same diameter but fits your spare wheel. This will at least get you off the interstate and maybe even home.

dps01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
use an online size calculator to compare new tire diameter to largest size tire that fits under the vehicle.

I have a eBay special OEM wheel with a 285/70R17 that just fits on a 2003.

Last edited:

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd feel better with a usable spare under there. Might take it off and check the overall size compared to what you now have. And never hurts to remove that spare and clean it up once in a while, and note if it has that nasty safety catch on the mechanism.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The spare tire is not part of the rear crash safety system. Imagine a 40psi tire bursting.
is it safe to just remove the spare altogether and take my chances with getting a flat, and save the weight of the spare wheel and tire,
or the cost of replacing my spare with a larger spare tire and wheel?
When I bought my Z71 used, he mentioned the missing spare wheel & tire, due to the mechanism rotting out.

Not too long ago, I did a road trip as a favor for a (former) friend, no need to bring much.
For that trip, I bought a 5th wheel & tire, and just put it in back, just in case.
Better believe I got a flat on the way back. Roadside assistance said it'd be a 2hr wait where I was on a Sunday.
Although my back is aging faster than I am, it took 40min with hand tools to get rolling again.

The real safety concern is:
How long will it take you to get rolling again if you lack a 5th wheel & tire and get a flat?

If you're concerned with weight, 16" or 17", preferably aluminum ...
or spend A HELLUVA LOT for 5 lightweight wheels,
and bring a flat tire plug kit and an air pump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cttrgrnd22

Latest posts