Spark plugs>!>?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
Hey, im thinking about upgrading my ignition on my truck, its taking a little longer to get her going then last yr. Ill be going with this stuff down below..

MSD coil pack
MSD 6Al with the plug and play harness
MSD wires possibly as well

Heres where im stuck.. spark plugs.. I saw falcon was running the E3 plugs and loves them even before he put in his MSD.. im either looking at those or Bosch 4449s.. Either way going to cost 50 bucks for plugs.. anyone confirm to either of those plugs? anyone like a different brand, these AC delcos aren't cutting it! thanks for the help!

haks310

Got LEDs?
Reaction score
I would not even worry about the ignition box, you will not see much out of it unless you are running a heavily modified engine. If anything I would just replace the cap and rotor, spark plugs, and the wires. I am currently waiting on MSD wires and Bosch Platinum2 spark plugs. They are shorter so they will fit shorty headers. Was planning on also getting an ignition box but went against it after reading that it really will not help much.

I am also going to replace the coil and the module and go with these guys:
http://www.performancedistributors.com/
And this is why I will be changing the module, read post 7 onward:
http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums...95-obd-i-ecm-pcm/348669-ignition-upgrade.html

I was going to run E3 spark if it was not for the shorty headerst and the fact that a guy over at FSC contacted MSD about the wires and what plugs they would recommend to run. They said just to stick with a basic spark plug or go AC Delco, he would not see much if any of a difference going with the E3s.

Last edited:

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MSD box is recommended once you throw in a bigger cam.
I threw in a MSD box b/c if increases the effecient electricity therefore better combustion inside the engine. Did this more for MPGs then HP's.

I can't really tell you difference it had on my engine since I'm still breaking my built heads. But with E3's SHE FIRED RIGHT UP compared to previous time. I tuned her up at94k with Delco Wires/Plugs/Distrib/Fuel Filter. I threw on the E3's at 104k. I know some may say it has been rigged but HP TV dyno'd E3's help HP and MPG so thats what sold me. I trust those guys, don't think they would tarnish thier rep over stock plugs by rigging shit.

Once I have the time...I'd like to contact MSD and see how the 6AL box can be tuned via laptop to FULLY take advantage of all it has to offer.

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the multiple spark discharge (MSD) ignition is a waste of money unless you are using one of their other features like rev limiter or spark retard for boost.
Most after market, ignition boxes just overdrive the coils with higher input voltage. If they were that much of an advantage, they would come from the factory with them.

A single spark at the right time is always best. Anything beyond a quality path from the coil to the plugs is over kill.

On spark plugs, I ended up going to NGK Racing plugs just because they are the only ones that made one “cold” enough for my application. Any name brand plug should get the job done.

For wires, I use the Magnecor 10mm pure silicone wires. They can take the heat from headers better than most. They are also resistance wire to keep the electronics happy.

If you have slow starting issues, I would expect it to be more fuel related. Try hesitating on hitting the starter after the ignition is on, to see if initial fuel pressure is involved. The old days with carbs, the fuel was sitting in the bowls waiting, but now with fuel injection, the pump in the fuel tank does all the work and if the check valves along the way are leaking, it needs a few beats to catch up.

Just my .02 …………… :)

Danny_Z56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Autolite Double Platinums....love 'em
Their a good spark plug.I ran them in all my Crown Vics and a few Caprices.

Im running AC Delco Double Platinums in my Tahoe now.

As far as rinning a colder or stock temp plug,well it depends on a few things.Like you're running more timing,forced induction,or a 93 octane tune,then you may want a colder plug.Otherwise stock temp plugs are fine.Just thought i'd throw that in there.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Virgorabit