Squeaking Noise Coming From Driveshaft????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eyedoc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was hoping you could help out with an issue I am noticing on my 05 tahoe. It has 58000 miles. I am hearing an intermittent metallic squeak like something is getting hung up with rotation. It is coming from underneath the truck. I think it is coming from where the drive shaft meets the differential. It only happens when moving forward with a little acceleration and gets faster as the truck does. I don't hear it after 30mph. Are there fittings to grease?

Thanks

Oshkosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in the middle of a similar noise, squeak and metalic clicking noise which would come and go.
I pulled my driveshaft about an hour ago and have a frozen U-Joint (Best case)... I wont know till tomorrow if thats all but it certainly would explain my nasty noise....
Hope this gives you hope..

Last edited:

Oshkosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in the middle of a similar noise, squeak and metalic clicking noise which would come and go.
I pulled my driveshaft about an hour ago and have a frozen U-Joint (Best case)... I wont know till tomorrow if thats all but it certainly would explain my nasty noise....
Hope this gives you hope..

My noise did turn out to be the u-joint closest the transfer case on the front drive shaft. It was gone but not blown apart, almost seized up...

Attachments

• FRdrvshftu.jpg
    FRdrvshftu.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
E

Eyedoc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I am debating if I should do it or just take it to the dealership. I'm concerned about having to heat up the u joint to get it out.
Is there a balance issue also???

bsul92

Reaction score
Replace your u joints. mine did the exact same thing over the summer.

also id suggest having a shop do it. it was damn near impossible to do when i did them...

jmyler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are they more difficult to remove than typical ones? I've replaced them on a variety of vehicles and they all seem to be about the same.

Oshkosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are they more difficult to remove than typical ones? I've replaced them on a variety of vehicles and they all seem to be about the same.

Not really once you melt out the plastic GM uses to lock them in with..Other than that just a u-joint...

Yukon_Joey

Reaction score
Think I've got failing u-joints as well...How much could I expect to pay to have a shop replace them? I've never replaced u-joints before and while I'm pretty handy with a wrench I'd just assume to pay a shop if it's going to too much of a PITA and they don't charge an arm and leg for it....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pjoe1320