Starter spins, does not engage flywheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I can infer, if the starter spins, power is getting to the starter, everything is working electrically. The fault is within the starter itself. The sad part is the starter is 2 weeks old. This is the ACDelco Professional 3371116. It is a new starter, not remanufactured. Upon receiving it, I noted that it is made in China. I guess I'll be ordering another starter. This time I'll get a remanufactured ACDelco one.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds like the solenoid went bad, if so you can probably replace just the solenoid if there is one in stock where you live. if you look at the starter it's the smaller part that sticks off to the side it is what pushes the starter gear up to the flywheel. normally they are just bolted on but some may be spot welded not sure.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could do that, but it will be under warrantee. Also, if the solenoid went bad that easily, how long would the starter itself last? My big beef is trying to wiggle the thing out of the engine.

One hint for others: it is easier to install the starter if you remove the oil dipstick tube. I have found that the tube is really easy to Re and Re.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You sure the flywheel not missing some teeth? Spin the flywheel with a big flathead screwdriver thru the inspection hole and see if it catches.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You sure the flywheel not missing some teeth? Spin the flywheel with a big flathead screwdriver thru the inspection hole and see if it catches.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

This is possible, but I'm pretty sure it's unlikely. I've never had trouble like this before on this truck. I replaced the starter originally because it was slow cranking even with a good battery. When I remove the existing starter I'll inspect the flywheel to be sure.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now the truck is parked outside on the road. So far I have not been able to tap the solenoid into working well enough to start and get it into my garage, so I will be doing this all on the road, in the rain, in near freezing temperatures.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It actually cranked today and got it into my garage. Now I can work on it rain or shine, bake or freeze. (more likely freeze). I found my old starter and applied 12V and it works quite well. It may have just been the contacts to the starter, but because it's so hard to get in and out I chose to replace it with a new starter. I'll see how it cranks once I reinstall the old one. I will probably still get a reman starter because I think the brushes may be toast. Perhaps I can rebuild this one later instead of replacing it. I'll see.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I will get a rebuild kit from these guys. I can get a starter from a wrecker and rebuild it myself, then swap the starter. I got an alternator kit from them a few years ago and was very happy with it. My alternator lasted longer than a rebuild done by a local company who did my friends alternator. They had neglected to replace the slip ring which failed a year later.

http://alternatorstarterrebuildkits.com/product/pg260f2/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wbill99hoe