Steering Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ta05Hoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Just bought an 05 Hoe with 184,***. Body and interior are in excellent shape. 3 exhaust bolts are broke I'll deal with that later. Very mild right now and goes away when warm.

However, I'm getting what seems to be a normal concern with steering.

I:

-Can get a 11-1 wiggle from the wheel before response on the highway
-Feel like the truck is being thrown around lane to lane on the highway
-Have a skipping or hopping when turning into or backing out of a parking spot. This just began after adjusting the screw on the gear box
-Adjusted the screw about 3/8 of a turn which helped but not too much. I went about 1/8 turn at a time and didn't want to go any further

I've had it at a shop that I guess I don't trust.

They told me everything looks great, but when I looked I see the driver side tie rod boot istorn and they didn't even mention that.

I'm getting a little frustrated. Any thoughts? Is it time to just overhaul the front end? The shop said nothing was loose.

If it needs a gear box what's the best brand?

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Just bought an 05 Hoe with 184,***. Body and interior are in excellent shape. 3 exhaust bolts are broke I'll deal with that later. Very mild right now and goes away when warm.

However, I'm getting what seems to be a normal concern with steering.

I:

-Can get a 11-1 wiggle from the wheel before response on the highway
-Feel like the truck is being thrown around lane to lane on the highway
-Have a skipping or hopping when turning into or backing out of a parking spot. This just began after adjusting the screw on the gear box
-Adjusted the screw about 3/8 of a turn which helped but not too much. I went about 1/8 turn at a time and didn't want to go any further

I've had it at a shop that I guess I don't trust.

They told me everything looks great, but when I looked I see the driver side tie rod boot istorn and they didn't even mention that.

I'm getting a little frustrated. Any thoughts? Is it time to just overhaul the front end? The shop said nothing was loose.

If it needs a gear box what's the best brand?

Take it to another shop. Tell them your steering seems loose. They shouldn't charge anything to look at it. It's basically a free diagnosis.
You need a second opinion. Otherwise, shake down the front end yourself.

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take it to another shop. Tell them your steering seems loose. They shouldn't charge anything to look at it. It's basically a free diagnosis.
You need a second opinion.

I agree with this. Could be tie rods, pitman/idler arms, steering box, or even sway bar.

Take it to another shop. My tie rods started going south around 120,000, so if yours have never been changed it is high time you do it.

southboundchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue and seens to be excess play in the box, tried adjusting it but no go so im heading to napa for a new one as well as a pitman and idler arm..... The tie rod ends and ball joints will be replaced as soon as i pull the trigger on lowering kit...... I replaced the steering box on my 02 z71 pickup a few years ago with one from napa and it steers like new

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
shocks man shocks 184k my guess is you probably need new shocks
bad or wornout shocks can cause an assortment of problems
aside from the obvious extremely bouncey suspension the wheels wanna follow the grooves in the road streering seems squirrely or wanders
excessive body roll yer brakes wear out almost twice as fast
if you push down on yer front does it just pop right back up or does it keep rebounding

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Ta05Hoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I checked out the front today with a mechanic. He said the pitman arm seems loose and the lower seal on the box is weaping a little fluid. I'll replace the box and pitman arm.

What brand gear box do you guys recommend?

Also, what are a good set of shocks? I checked those and they seem alright not terrible but they are rotting pretty good. I would say it passes the bounce test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLCHOE

Reaction score
Also, what are a good set of shocks? I checked those and they seem alright not terrible but they are rotting pretty good. I would say it passes the bounce test.

Depending on where you live, they will rust and look ugly. What you are really looking for is fluid/oil leaking from them.

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

I checked out the front today with a mechanic. He said the pitman arm seems loose and the lower seal on the box is weaping a little fluid. I'll replace the box and pitman arm.

Fix the pitman arm (and also do the idler arm at the same time - cheap). Forget about the "leak" on the gearbox for now. Get it aligned. See how it acts.

OP
OP
T

Ta05Hoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up! I'll order the Pitman Arm and Idler arm right now. We'll hold off on the box for the time being.

I spent the day today ripping out there interior and carpet cleaning everything! Man was that a chore. The carpets were essentially BLACK. Really came back to life! I'm really loving this Tahoe. I bought it as a winter beater so the girlfriend can drive it when it snows. It's really growing on me more and more. Such a comfortable smooth truck. With 184k it's unimaginable it drives the way it does.

I also just ordered today as manifold "repair" bracket. Hopefully that will eliminate the leaking manifold due to the broken stud. It hopefully with allow me to not have to take off, weld a nut/washer, and hope I can get it out.

OP
OP
T

Ta05Hoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Replaced gearbox and pitman arm.....drives like a million bucks.

Installed the manifold bracket to "fix" broken studs.....no more leak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLCHOE

Reaction score
Great! Those exhaust manifold brackets are handy. The rear of the heads are hard to get an angle drill and extractor to. Without pulling the head, this is the best "fix" (bandaid).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tazmain