Steering rack bushings worn?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2012 Yukon XL 1500 140K miles

The front end is tight, ball joints, control arms, tie rods, no leaks on the rack. When turning the wheel I can see about 1/4" of moment, curious if this is excessive.

If so, are they replaceable, do the bushings just press in and out?

Quick vid.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2012 Yukon XL 1500 140K miles

The front end is tight, ball joints, control arms, tie rods, no leaks on the rack. When turning the wheel I can see about 1/4" of moment, curious if this is excessive.

If so, are they replaceable, do the bushings just press in and out?

Quick vid.

there is a support bracket out there (i think) that can be bolted on that will help eliminate that, I believe there may also be bushings but that may be a bit of work.
the brace I am thinking of may be for the gmt800's, you might try poking around the web or maybe another member will know for sure.
here are the bushings from energy suspension

OP
OP
D

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bushings seem doable with a C-press, hoping by just re-securing the tie rod ends with no movement on the threads would alter the alignment.

I think those brackets are for the 2500's?? Not sure.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The bushings seem doable with a C-press, hoping by just re-securing the tie rod ends with no movement on the threads would alter the alignment.

I think those brackets are for the 2500's?? Not sure.
if yours is a 2500 then it should be the same or similar system as a gmt800, haven't really looked that hard at one myself.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you feel it driving or it's annoying, hard to alignment?

cause if not I'd leave it. you don't need all the harsh road vibrations and hits directly on the rack gears of you don't need it.

drift guys all have solid rack mounts and they change racks like underwear. I feel the flex is probably there for a reason. I tend to leave rubber bushings in everything, my younger days of changing everything to polly and then wondering why they don't last has long past in my old age haha.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a few companies that make bushing kits to eliminate the slop. Izzy has probably the best kit but it's pricey.
Believe it or not they actually help prolong the life of the rack, at least out in the desert. Don't see why they wouldn't do the same on the road in a less harsh environment.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice video!

I have lateral movement on my passenger bushing, but did not check for axial movement while steering.
In my case, I get a slight clunk if I make faster than slow u-turn, and I seem to have extra outside edge tire wear so I probably have the same type of movement. Personally leaning towards the Energy Suspension bushings just because they are stiffer without being fully rigid.

Any other options? keep 'em coming!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pknewcombe83

Latest posts