Steering Shaft current thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankhenrylee

Reaction score
I was going to wait until I had my headlight problem fixed but I'll go ahead and ask. What is the latest correction process for the steering shaft clunk? As always, thanks in advance for yout help.

RedYuk04

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was going to wait until I had my headlight problem fixed but I'll go ahead and ask. What is the latest correction process for the steering shaft clunk? As always, thanks in advance for yout help.

Can't go wrong with the Dorman replacement from Summit for $45. I got it and installed it with no problems, however my noise was coming from the crossmember. Another easy fix for about $2 worth of washers.

RedYuk04

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Add 8, 14MM flat washers to each nut and bolt head. I was getting a popping noise on takeoff or while turning, going into the driveway, over speed bumps, stuff like that. I used to have the service bullitin saved but I got rid of it when I fixed the problem. If you go to the dealer, they sell their specific washers for about $1 ea. I just went to Fastenal and got 8, 14MM washers and it worked all the same. Just requires the washers and a torque wrench.

dwmmatt23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
add a zert fitting to it so you can grease it up, search for the link and i posted a link from z71tahoe forum. easy to do and best way to keep it full as ive heard of the new replacement shafts drying up pretty fast as well

Grebbler

Parts is parts...
Reaction score
+1 on the Dorman part. 30,000 miles and still quiet.

I also tried the occasional "shaft exercising" then a Zerk fitting (because I am a tightwad) and the noise & clunk came back within days.

FLHOE

Reaction score
Sorry for the newbie question, but more info on the crossmember fix. Where is the crossmember and where do you put the washers?

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace the shaft with a new part. The current part design no longer has grease in it, but looks the same as some of the older revisions otherwise.

OP
OP
F

Frankhenrylee

Reaction score
I was looking at the Dorman part and noticed that it is non-collapsible. I thought that the shaft was supposed to be able to move a little. Wouldn't this cause some premature wear and tear with some of the other parts later on? Any other side effects?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968