Sticking caliper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TWITCH101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a front caliper hang on me the other day. It got so hot that it began to smoke after I pulled over. I then let it cool off and limped home. Bled the old fluid from the lines and lubed the pins and what not in the caliper and now all seems to be fine. I wanted a shop to look at it but before looking all they wanted to do it get me a new caliper and a line.

opinions????

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, if a caliper is sticking, generally it'll be an internal caliper issue. It would be less costly to install a new loaded caliper ($50-60 plus labor) than to take the old caliper off, inspect, clean, rebuild, etc...

I dunno, I'd just replace the caliper...

Cameron

OP
OP
TWITCH101

TWITCH101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They claimed the brake line collapsed and they would need to replace them both. I was like "collapse???".

---------- Post added at 10:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

the shop don't want 60+labor.....the shop wants 150+labor.....
total around 200

---------- Post added at 10:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 AM ----------

Well I talked to someone earlier and the typical consensus about a brake line collapsing is normally when work has been done to the caliper.

Apparently what happens is the line gets pinched/twisted/kinked, and that cause excess stress on the line causing it to collapse on itself internally.

My sources inform me that once this happens the brake fluid can now enter the caliper but since the line is collapsed the fluid has a hard time escaping the caliper. this causing the caliper to "stick".

Considering the fact that one oil change ago I redid the brakes on my Yukon and had trouble with the same caliper that I am having problems with now. I'm under the assumption that I kinked the line and cause this issue myself.

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I meant 50-60 for the part (caliper) & than labor added on.

Based on that than why do they want to do the caliper if they suspect the line is bad?

Cameron

OP
OP
TWITCH101

TWITCH101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My question exactly....I think they just wanna make money on a college kid.

OP
OP
TWITCH101

TWITCH101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i replaced my brake line myself this weekend. Everything seems to be working perfectly. No lock-ups, no pulling to one side or the other while braking so I think the problem is solved. I'll post up if I have any problems down the road. My total investment is now $25+$6...brake line and brake fluid. much cheaper than the $200 quote I was given.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hawkeye1