Stock radio programmed to VIN ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

viven44

Reaction score
I'm trying to find a stock used radio on eBay for my 2002 GMC Yukon

Per this video it looks like I will need to call a number and obtain a code... which is fine..

But is the radio programmed to the VIN? In which case my eBay radio may not work, unless I can get it reprogrammed.

Any advice on this is appreciated.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, they are tied to the VIN. You'd need a tech 2 (or clone/VCX Nano) to do it yourself. Or you can send it out or call a local dealer and see what it might cost.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When I replaced mine on my 05 Tahoe, the seller at ebay asked for my VIN and set it up ahead of time. I installed and it played right then.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to find a stock used radio on eBay for my 2002 GMC Yukon

Per this video it looks like I will need to call a number and obtain a code... which is fine..

But is the radio programmed to the VIN? In which case my eBay radio may not work, unless I can get it reprogrammed.

Any advice on this is appreciated.
it can be done with a code on the gmt800's does not have to be specifically vin learned. essentially using the code does that
any gm dealer worth there salt can do it in a couple minutes in the service drive for free
just tell them you changed the battery and the radio came up as "locked"
if they say they are going charge you for it then tell them to kick rocks and find another dealer they don't want your business......

OP
OP
viven44

viven44

Reaction score
I found a few videos with a link to call the dealer helpline to crack the code. That answers it! Thanks much.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know about an 02 but on our 01 the radio was not coded new, had to add a code. Used it for a couple years before I did. Wrote it down in the back of the owner's manual.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knfosty