subs behind the rear 1/4 panels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

blk88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The 10w6's probably aren't going to sound as good as they did in the other vehicle. Of course I don't know the vehicle. I'm assuming it was something rear firing with appropriate airspace.

It was an S-10 extended cab. VERY small sealed box .5 cu ft for each sub firing down. Sounded awesome, but obviously a small cabin compared to the Tahoe. What I'm thinking of doing is a down firing box the width if the cargo space and not going over the height of the rear 1/4 panels and just deep enough for the subs to fit. I was thinking of going the width of the cargo space just to get a little more air space. I might cut it even smaller, the length of the 60% bench seat portion allowing me to put the 40% seat down if needed. I'm going to talk to a local stereo shop that has helped me out a lot in the past to see what he thinks is best. I'll be using a JL 500.1 for the subs and a JL 300.4 for the mids and highs. The front doors I'm thinking of going with Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 and the rear doors Infinity Kappa 63.9i and ditching the 4x10's in the ceilinhg. I had Infinity Kappa's in my S-10 and LOVED them. I don't see a reason to try something different if I completly satisfied with them in the past. What do you guys think?

gulleyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heres what i did to my 2 door.

:hail: Your sub box is AWESOME! Is that a 10" or a 12"? I have a 2dr Yukon want to build one just like THAT, would it be too much to ask for dimensions on that box? :help:

718frankb

LOCAL 282 TEAMSTERS
Reaction score
Thanks -its a 10 in sub! i dont remember the exact measurements but it something like 12"high x 8"deep x 22" top x 16"bottom

BlueTahoe2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Subs came factory in the rear quarter panels for the NBS Style trucks. I know in my 01' I took the factory sub-woofer brackets and box out because I stepped up to a 10 Inch sub. Im not sure about the OBS style trucks, but you might be able to take a NBS box and brackets and make it work.

Mild

Reaction score
if you wanted a regular box i could build it for you, or if you wanted something a little different, but looking good, i could do that as well.

-Robin

gulleyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks -its a 10 in sub! i dont remember the exact measurements but it something like 12"high x 8"deep x 22" top x 16"bottom
Thanks 718frankb, after looking more closely at your pics it looks like your using a Solobaric, I think my sub may require a little more air space :(
Gonna have to get creative I suppose :hmm:

you might be able to take a NBS box and brackets and make it work.
BlueTahoe2001, I wonder if the rear quarter trim is interchangeable or could be made to work with minimal modification? That would be pretty sweet.

i could build it for you
Mild, where you at? How much money are we talk'n here huh? :deal:
I need to change my notification settings, didn't know all these replies were here, thanks folks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

blk88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
o.k. since I started this tread I've had stuff in and out of the back of the tahoe so many times. I've decided a box in the cargo area will be a pain. I'm back on making them work in the rear 1/4 panels...lots of fiberglass. I'm piecing this system together and so far I have the HU, Alpine CDA-117, and the rear door speakers, Infinity Kappa 62.9i. I already had the 2 JL 10W6's from my old system and the JL amps...500.1 and 300.4. I just need to get the front component speakers. I'm looking at getting Infinity Kappa 60.9CS 6.5." I had some Infinity Perfect's in my last vehicle with a system, loved them and became an Infinity Fan so I'm sticking with them.

Question...should I install the tweets in the A pillars to reflect off the windsheild or in the stock location in the door panel?

Once I get all this going in I will post pictures. Can't wait to have a system again!Thanks!

moviewithnotitle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
blk88,
If you want a higher sound-stage then mounting them in the pillars and pointing them toward the rearview mirror will really raise the stage. Only problem with this is that the seperation from the woofer being in the bottom of the door might make them very bright.

If you don't mind this, then go for it!

SPLmonster13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, in the pillars will raise your stage noticably, thats what id go with.

OP
OP
B

blk88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So here's an update on my very slow progress. I got in an accident. Here in Phx the crosswalk signs countdown to the light changing from green to yellow. Some lady hit the brakes seeing that the light was going to change and me thinking that she'd make it though on grean and I would go through on yellow, ended up rear ending her. Anyways, a $500 deductable and a $220 ticket later, I have the headunit and rear door speakers installed. Due to the accident and our first child coming in December, the front door speakers are going to have to wait a little longer. I decided on a box(s) in the cargo area instead of installing them in the rear 1/4 panels. Maybe when I have some money I'll replace my 10w6's with 2 JL TW5's and then use the 1/4 panel space. So I'm trying to decide if I should do 2 sealed boxes, 1 sub per box, or 1 sealed box and divide the space. I also like the idea of the JL ** box.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_enclosures_pages.php?menu=2&page_id=19

Any one have any suggestions? I listen to mostly rock music like Korn, Trapt, Chevelle, etc. so I know a sealed box works well for that type of bass. Do you think the JL design might roll the bass too much for rock music? Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vonpat