Suspension noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DFWTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
All, just test drove an '07 Suburban LTZ with 52K miles on it. Really liked
it and want to buy it, but noticed an annoying issue with it. At low speed
under 25 miles an hour or so, left front (suspension? wheel?) is making a
thumping or clunking noise when going over rough pavement. My Acura makes
exactly the same noise when the gas tank is 3/4 full and the gas is moving
around hitting the plastic tank walls. I know this is completely different,
but it is a similar sound. I googled this issue and found a ton of
references to intermediate steering shaft issue on the previous generation
trucks. I had an '02 Yukon XL before and it was making that dreaded
clunking noise when turning at low speed. This noise is completely
different and it is happening when going straight and this is on the new
generation Suburban with Air ride suspension. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

zach2011

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just have the dealer check it out. It's THEIR vehicle anyways, they're responsible for it. You could always look at other Suburbans, too. :)

millercreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be a wheel bearing... Chevy has had problems with those in recent years.

eandj23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 07 yukon with 60K miles on it and I have taken mine in for what sounds like the exact same thing. Mine is on the front right wheel though

First time - "theres a couple joints in the back that are rattling, lubricated them and they are good."

result: made the noise as soon as i drove off the lot

Second time - "its the front strut, replaced and its good"

result: didnt hear the sound for a couple days but then it came back.

problem now is that when it rains you cant hear it and we are in a crazy cali storm right now so i have to wait until after the storm to take it in again!

I would look for a different truck unless they can find the problem, AND IF THEY CAN, LET ME KNOW!! So far my local dealership (which is #1 in California) cant find the problem.

millercreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced two wheel bearings on my 06 Z71. The first time it went out, sounded like my transmission was about to fall out the bottom. Probably not what the noise is, but just a thought. My tahoe was making noises in the rear end a few days after I bought it, used with 55,000 miles. Turns out all the bearings in the rear end had to be replaced. What's the deal with GM and crappy bearings? Oh well, at least I have warranty.

Lil CacAzn Nick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its the wheel bearing. i have the exact same issue on my 07 tahoe. It sucks and costs around 600 or 700 dollars to replace. Im taking mine in this week to have it replaced.

millercreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn that sucks! I didn't know it costs that much to replace. Mine was under warranty. I wish Chevy would do something about their wheel bearings, that's BS. It has to be a common occurence, because I talked to another guy just a few days ago and he was asking if I had problems with wheel bearings on my Z71. He wasn't happy when I said I had to replace two of them and my truck had less than 60k miles.

OP
OP
D

DFWTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update-

Well I ended up buying the car. Had two different dealers look at it and both confirmed that the drive shaft needs to be greased. I will update once I get it done. To me this still sounds weird, since the noise is coming from the front left wheel. To my knowledge the drive shaft is in the middle. Also it's 2wd with air suspension and front adjustable shocks. Does this sound like it make sense?

Last edited:

Daveman58

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update?

Any update on this DFWTahoe? I have the exact same issue on my '07 Tahoe LTZ with 72K. It's gotten worse over the past 5000 miles. I thought it was the swaybar mounts but I've greased those and it still has the same problems.

Thanks,
Dave W.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968