Swap Diesel drivetrain into gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Immortalmort

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello All!

I am new to this forum, and have searched around for information already for this topic, but thought I'd ask it anyways.

I have a 98 tahoe 4dr 4wD Gas & love it so far, got it for what seemed like a pretty good deal. Found out three weeks after I got it however that the last owner *Patched* the transmission in it before he sold it, and now I worry its not going to last me as long as I intended.

Just yesterday I found a 96? tahoe 2dr 4wd Diesel 2500 that has had the front end smashed in pretty good but the powertrain is still intact (customer drove it to the body shop without a hood & leaking radiator lol).

I am curious to know if anybody has swapped the 4l80 out of a 2500 diesel on to a gas motor, and if its worth it to swap the axles out and acquire new driveshafts for the axles.

(I can get the whole diesel truck for 250$ if i want it)

let me know if you guys think its worth the hassle!

Nickleahy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they do it alllll the time on higher power trucks..theres a ton of info out there and its not very complicated to do..i see them quite often

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Why not save the 2dr dude its pretty rare being diesel. I would get it then repair it and have a badass diesel. You can take the front off the 4dr and fix ir for npt too much

---------- Post added at 05:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 PM ----------

Hell get it and part it out its a ******* steal n alot of us have 2drs here and we can buy stuff. Def get it tho

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
True but value wise the2dr is worth more and is rarer and with diesel thatl pull the 4dr as fast as a fat kid will eat a chocolate bar

stereodesigner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not too hard to do,
But IMO keep the diesel motor

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Yes they made one. 6.5 turbo diesel. A rare option for a 2dr thats why i am saying fix it.....

KPOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Post up some pics of the 2 door diesel. Like was mentioned above, I'd buy it in a heartbeat for $250 then just swap over parts off the 4 door.

_Dylan_

STAY FROSTY
Reaction score
I'm not sure if the 4L80E will swap in, you'll have to do some research.

they made a 2 door, 2500 diesel??

it was a 1500

IMO I wouldn't swap a 6.5TD into anything, but for $250 you could make a decent profit parting it out in your spare time and then scraping the rest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustGibby

Latest posts