Tahoe 09' How long can the battery hold charge without running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gav70

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I went on vacation for about 3 weeks and returned to find the battery of my 09' Tahoe dead. Called On-Star to have it jumped and it ran fine all day and was dead again next morning. Took it to the dealership and they said it needs a new battery. Will pick it up soon with a new battery.

The guy who came from On-Star said that I should turn on the car and run it for 15-20 mins every 3-4 days even if I go on vacation. Is that really true??

My question with the experts here is how long do you think can a battery hold charge if the car is standing in the garage and not running? Is 2-3 weeks acceptable or do i really have to have someone start it and leave it running for some time every 3-4 days?

Thanks in advance.

Best
G

shundal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have any aftermarket electronics that run when the car is off? I have an aftermarket alarm that runs while the car is off. With the factory battery I could get 7-8 days before the battery would die. With an upgraded battery I can get about 2 weeks with the alarm activated. To play it safe, when my tahoe is going to sit for a week or more I use a battery maintainer to make sure it stays charged up.

My parents stock escalade would lasted about 2 weeks on the stock battery.

OP
OP
G

gav70

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I dont have any aftermarket electronics. Everything is stock on the vehicle. It could have just been an old battery. Battery maintainer is a good idea. Should have thought of that. Ill probably get one and use it if i plan on going out for more than 2 weeks.

Found the forum post below that had some good suggestions but not sure if they work on a Tahoe. Do you know which one do you use?

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...hat-is-currently-the-best-battery-tender.html

shundal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive been using this for a few years and its worked great. It will maintain and bring any battery up to a full charge. It however will not charge a battery that is dead. It's compact, has built in protection and is waterproof.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000CITKCE?pc_redir=1410616351&robot_redir=1

For its price it it provides great value. I know they have solar powered battery tenders now but have no experience with one.

OP
OP
G

gav70

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I asked the guy at the dealership yesterday when i went to pick up the Tahoe with the new battery installed. He said that i should not use battery tenders since we are in Arizona and they cook the batteries dry. He suggested that i remove the negative wire from the battery if i plan to be away for more than a month.

I'm guessing he is old school and doesn't know that the new ones come with technology to not cook or overcharge the battery.

Last edited:

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the old school battery, check it before going and fill it with some water to keep it from cooking.
If you have a maintenance free... well I am not sure where the water would go, seems that being in a sealed system that it would not escape...

Most batteries have a warranty...

Honestly it sounded to me that the battery was simply lived it's life...

Here is one for you, They could make a battery that would outlive the vehicle, they chose not to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDBTahoe