Tahoe not responding like it should...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rushie84

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What's up? My 2010 Tahoe doesn't feel like it's responding right when I press the accelerator. The car responds slowly at first, then when I have pushed the accelerator down to a certain point, the car jumps and the engine roars and the car will speed way up. This is hard to describe, so please ask questions if I'm not being clear. The car has 60K miles on it. Any ideas?

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try giving your throttle body a good cleaning.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forget cleaning the TB. The trans in these things blow.

Consider a BB tune to help the trans and acceleration.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was going to start with the easy/cheap stuff first to see if they made a difference before going to the high dollar fixes :Handshake:

Either way, whether a TB cleaning helps or not, though, definitely get a BB tune :hands:

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score

How does the BBTune help the transmission from blowing?

I am not being smart , I am really asking.....

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of all, I'm not saying that the trans have a tendency to "blow up." Rather, I think they are crap.

A BB tune can quicken and therefore firm up the shifts. Also, a BB tune can advance the timing and add some response to the engine. The combo makes for a more-reactive truck.

HOE-N-IT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's up? My 2010 Tahoe doesn't feel like it's responding right when I press the accelerator. The car responds slowly at first, then when I have pushed the accelerator down to a certain point, the car jumps and the engine roars and the car will speed way up. This is hard to describe, so please ask questions if I'm not being clear. The car has 60K miles on it. Any ideas?

I will assume you are talking about when you are going down the road at maybe 30 to 50 MPH and you want to speed up or maintain speed up a grade and not when you are just taking off from a stop. The vehicle FINALLY downshifts and takes off fast because you have given it a lot of gas.

If so, my 2011 did the same thing. I hated the way it drove right after I bought it. Under light acceleration from a stop it would shift through the gears way to soon and then hesitate ang bog. At times it would even stumble before smoothing out and building a few RPM's and then shift and stumble and bog again. It seemed it was always trying to get to 5th or 6th gear as fast as it could.

When crusing at say 30 to 50 MPH it would be in 5th or 6th gear and when I wanted to increase speed it didn't want to go or downshift until I gave it a LOT of gas and then downshift sometimes 2 gears before taking off as you describe.

I got a Black Bear tune and it now drives and shifts perfectly. It has a little longer hang time in each gear before shifting to the next gear so when it does shift the RPM's are not so low that it bogs. It also downshifts now when it needs to when climbing a grade or accelerating. The shifts are no longer mushy but quicker and firmer but not harsh.

Experiment with using manual mode and shifting when you think it needs to based on RPM's and load and see if it feels better. If so, you need a tune.

OP
OP
R

rushie84

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I will assume you are talking about when you are going down the road at maybe 30 to 50 MPH and you want to speed up or maintain speed up a grade and not when you are just taking off from a stop. The vehicle FINALLY downshifts and takes off fast because you have given it a lot of gas.

If so, my 2011 did the same thing. I hated the way it drove right after I bought it. Under light acceleration from a stop it would shift through the gears way to soon and then hesitate ang bog. At times it would even stumble before smoothing out and building a few RPM's and then shift and stumble and bog again. It seemed it was always trying to get to 5th or 6th gear as fast as it could.

When crusing at say 30 to 50 MPH it would be in 5th or 6th gear and when I wanted to increase speed it didn't want to go or downshift until I gave it a LOT of gas and then downshift sometimes 2 gears before taking off as you describe.

I got a Black Bear tune and it now drives and shifts perfectly. It has a little longer hang time in each gear before shifting to the next gear so when it does shift the RPM's are not so low that it bogs. It also downshifts now when it needs to when climbing a grade or accelerating. The shifts are no longer mushy but quicker and firmer but not harsh.

Experiment with using manual mode and shifting when you think it needs to based on RPM's and load and see if it feels better. If so, you need a tune.

This is exactly what's going on. Must need a black bear tune. I will look into that. I appreciate everybody's responses.

glockz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

You just explained my Tahoe to a tee. I really need I look into the BB tune. Thanks for the info on how to make this thing more enjoyable to drive!

20Tahoe12LT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a question. Does a tune void the warrantee? I am asking as I have a '12 Tahoe. I am interested in a tune, but not if it voids the warrantee. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rescurat