Tahoe running like a bag of .........

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ewheelin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Been a bad couple of weeks. First some kids broke in to my truck, but didn't just bust out 1 door handle, but busted up both of them. The doors and locks were pretty bad so I took the truck to a local body shop, and although they said they needed it for 2 days they took 4. So bringing the truck home and it starts running really rough. It feels like it is going to quit at idle, but to start, it would accelerate OK but the next light, it just bags out. First thought was fuel filter, so I changed that, and it did idle better right off the bat, then went back to running like crap. I called the shop to see if any of the other vehicles had been messed with there, but no. He did say that the battery had been disconnected for 2 days as they were working on the doors and didn't want to kill the battery. I checked the terminals, and found the ground terminal finger tight, so hoped that was the issue, but I tightened it, and still runs bad. The check engine light did come on but went out again when I cleaned the battery terminals, so I guess it reset. Any idea what might have happened? The truck has run great for the 2 years since I bought it.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
how about a year? and if possible see if you can get it scanned to see if traces of code are still there. i am wondering if it is trying to relearn it performance ability to adjust for fuel system differences. it has to do it when it loses its battery power. a few complete cold to hot to cold trips of a few miles usually restores it.

---------- Post added at 03:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 AM ----------

also check grounds on body near battery and thermostat housing and back of right cylinder head to see if by chance they are rusty or broken out of coincidence.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
idk i had my batt diconnected for 4 months while i was deployed and mine fired right up and never had issues

OP
OP
E

ewheelin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
how about a year? and if possible see if you can get it scanned to see if traces of code are still there. i am wondering if it is trying to relearn it performance ability to adjust for fuel system differences. it has to do it when it loses its battery power. a few complete cold to hot to cold trips of a few miles usually restores it.

---------- Post added at 03:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 AM ----------

also check grounds on body near battery and thermostat housing and back of right cylinder head to see if by chance they are rusty or broken out of coincidence.

The Tahoe is a 97, and it appears that you nailed it. Of course I slowed the process up by resetting the computer myself, but after a few trips out and about the truck seemed to run better with each run. I guess the ECM has some type of battery back up as from the instructions I found to reset it, it said to disconnect the battery, then turn the headlights on for at least 10 minutes. With the body shop leaving the doors open for a couple of days it would have done the same thing, and that's possibly why you can disconnect the battery for 4 months with out it losing memory, as long as there was no other draw? Also, I do have a locking gas cap, otherwise, I would have thought that that was the issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
weeda3068