Tahoe to Esky cluster Swap/ now batt light on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright, just did the swap the other day and havent had time to really look into it, except for a little. But i have a 05 tahoe and swapped in a i believe a 04 Esky cluster. When i plugged it in, the battery light is on, and comes on right away and doesnt go out. Turn the ign to just acc and the light is on and shouldnt be, not until the next turn on the switch. Now i have found this, can anyone confirm this:

If it's an 05~06 cluster in an 03~04, the Power management SOH is missing, since you don't have that circuitry/module. That wasn't a problem prior but may be with the 06 runs now..

SOH is the "State of Health" report upon power-up. If the module doesn't respond (not there) a fault sets. In this case, no codes would set for something not in the system normally, unless the cluster itself does now.

If you have a late model cluster.. And if you have an 03~04, have the dealer reprog your cluster to the vehicle, or you'll have the 05~06 DIC. :9: It may also correct the problem.

-The 05+ has EPM, the earlier trucks don't, and their clusters fault on this in an 05+- no doubt.

03: The basic DIC

04: Add the TPM (Tire pressure Monitor)

05/06: Add the EPM system, and remove some DIC features like Instant MPG..

So is it b/c i put in a 04 into my 05 b/c i do have the instant mpg feature which according to the above, i suppose is only a 04 feature. My stock cluster did not have that option.

If it comes to reprogramming it, does anyone with a 05/06 esky cluster want to trade, or a 2500 want to trade, guage face i dont care about, changing it anyway. Or i can fix this one somehow. My mech is confused on it.

thanks for the help

mike

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully OmarR will chime in on this one, he's probably the man for your question!!

OP
OP
Tahoewhat

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
anyone else had this problem. Or want to trade? Good to knnow that if you have an 05/06 the older ones will throw codes. Just a fyi for those looking. The dic, is different in 05/06 and ran different.

OP
OP
Tahoewhat

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
anyone else had this problem ?

OP
OP
Tahoewhat

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks for responding, looking at your sig, looks like you put a 02 eksy in a 02 tahoe. So it should of been straight swap. Nothing changed that year. Im thinking if i did 05 eksy in my 05 tahoe, id be good.

Just trying to confirm the battery light problem w/ having a 04 dic in my 05 dic.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if it can be reprogrammed with the correct software to work with your truck? Maybe it can be done with a Tech2. But I am sure they will charge so much that you might as well just find an 05.

OP
OP
Tahoewhat

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if it can be reprogrammed with the correct software to work with your truck? Maybe it can be done with a Tech2. But I am sure they will charge so much that you might as well just find an 05.

Im thinking it can, thats why no one has had this problem, b/c they get it programmed and the people that program it, just do it and dont say anything. Tech 2 is what ive heard, but if im getting charged to program it, like you say i might as well just get a 05/06 one. Guage looks better anyway. lol.

OP
OP
Tahoewhat

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you ever get your gauge fixed/figured out??? :)

as you know, yes.

For those of you wanting plug and play, 04/03 are different than a 05/06, will throw code. Mine did as it made the battery light come on and stay on. I have a 05 tahoe. I have since switched to 05 esky and light is gone. Put the 04 cluster i had in mine w/ the battery light on, put it in a 05 esky and the light wasnt didnt come on, on it. So just a fyi if it does, could be wrong cluster. Was not my battery, or alternator, tested both of those.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SylviaC56