Tail lights quit working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tmac82

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi...new to the forum. My 2007 Yukon XL has developed an irritating problem. Replaced the tail lights due to one being smashed out about a year and a half ago. Worked fine until early this year but doubt it's related, except harness for driver's side had fallen off the lame plastic tab that holds it up inside rear bumper, so it was dangling and getting sprayed with ice/water/salt and whatever else you'd find on winter roads up in central BC. Driver's side began acting up first, rapid turn signal when braking and all bulbs would sequentially light up (instead of just the turn signal bulb). Only sometimes and not always when roads were wet. This has carried on up until this week. Now rapid turn signal on both driver and passenger side, no lights whatsoever. No tail lights, no brake lights, no turn signals...high mount brake light works. Pulled harnesses apart and checked voltage, looks OK to me. I wasn't sure if this was right but measured same voltage with hazards on both on yellow and blue wire to ground - thought that could be an issue? Anyone had the same problem? Checked all fuses and bulbs are all good (at least I knew they were before "lights out").

Not sure if this is related to another issue - last few months getting the "service battery charging system" warning. Battery is relatively new and last load test came back at 80%...alternator replaced with a NEW one (175 amp I believe) last year. Tested both and rock-steady 14.5-15 VDC (couldn't read it precisely, lost my glasses!) and not fluctuating. I searched this error the other night and found a TSB that might be the key. Appointment booked at my local GM dealer but that's a week from now.

No idea if both problems are related just throwing it out there in case someone else has experienced this or still is and what's been done. I would like to at least get tail lights working again so my wife can drive without worrying she'll get in an accident!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Salty Crusty