Tell you some of my problems I'm having

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IowaTahoe

Reaction score
I've got 2002 5.3 Tahoe. I've got a stumble when it's cold, it's getting 8.5 to 11 mpg. Today it really stumbled when it first started, then it died. I tried three times and it wouldn't start. Had to floor it then turned the key and it finally started.

Hoping someone can give me some ideas of what might going on. I was thinking intake gasket but today it didn't want to start at lunch like I was stating and now I'm trying to sit back and rethink it

thanks

OP
OP
IowaTahoe

IowaTahoe

Reaction score
I took it to O'riellys and it says theres codes but it couldn't pull them.

Guy that tried to pull them is a SAE mechanic that part times the counter. So I do trust his experience, he recommended me to take it to a Chevy Dealer. Kind of really dont want to go that route right away.

matt14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why were they not able to pull the codes? Are you sure that he was a ASE certified ( all ASE certified means is that you can take a test) technician and not a ASE parts certified tech? Ylou may be able to go down to Kragen and buy a scanner and run the codes to see what you get. This would help a lot in trying to figure out whats going on with your truck. But sounds like a possible fuel problem just off your explanation.

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First thing I would do is the easy stuff, clean the MAF and the throttle body with approved cleaners. If you don't have MAF cleaner, use brake parts cleaner...leaves no residue. Worth buying the MAF and the TB cleaner tho and do it regularly. Make sure to open the fly on the TB and clean it out good with a rag..don't spray too much on.

Maybe a fuel filter too, easy $14 fix...but you'll need that special tool to remove the quick connect.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000K1IVV4...e=380333&creativeASIN=B000K1IVV4&linkCode=asn

B

OP
OP
IowaTahoe

IowaTahoe

Reaction score
Why were they not able to pull the codes? Are you sure that he was a ASE certified ( all ASE certified means is that you can take a test) technician and not a ASE parts certified tech? Ylou may be able to go down to Kragen and buy a scanner and run the codes to see what you get. This would help a lot in trying to figure out whats going on with your truck. But sounds like a possible fuel problem just off your explanation.

I'm not sure why it wouldn't take the codes, not sure if there was something wrong with the device or what. But the guy that was running the scanner, is a mechanic at a GM dealer here in town. He helps out part time at O'rielly's. He wasn't sure why it wasn't getting the codes, just recommened to me to take it to the dealer where there scanners were better.

Where in Iowa are ya?

I'm in Le Mars, Northeast of Sioux City about 25 miles.

First thing I would do is the easy stuff, clean the MAF and the throttle body with approved cleaners. If you don't have MAF cleaner, use brake parts cleaner...leaves no residue. Worth buying the MAF and the TB cleaner tho and do it regularly. Make sure to open the fly on the TB and clean it out good with a rag..don't spray too much on.

Maybe a fuel filter too, easy $14 fix...but you'll need that special tool to remove the quick connect.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000K1IVV4/...4&linkCode=asn

Thanks BOSS I'll start on that today.

amaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't need any special tools to replace fuel filter?
How much you did have fuel in tank when this happened? I had a bad fuel pump and my tahoe did same kind of shit when it was 1/2 tank or less at the beginning, and few weeks later it begin to die every time I released throttle even with 1/1 tank. I replaced the fuel pump with new one and all that stumble and dying was gone.

OP
OP
IowaTahoe

IowaTahoe

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the Fuel pressure should be at the fuel rail?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgy