The lawsuit should have been for more $

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At that particular time, armed with the info the warranty company gave you, I would have paid a visit to the dealer and they would have paid me a bunch of money, just to leave and not talk so loud for every customer in there to hear what was going on. I am an old veteran, I just don't care.
Didn’t cross my mind at the time but when one of their salesman cold called me a few years later, I told him off. That was about it.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
At that particular time, armed with the info the warranty company gave you, I would have paid a visit to the dealer and they would have paid me a bunch of money, just to leave and not talk so loud for every customer in there to hear what was going on. I am an old veteran, I just don't care.
I have no doubt that you would. LOL And, they would be talking about the incident at the dealership for months. :chair:

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yet another reason why I have always said: Stay away from extended warranty companies.

I was suckered into buying an extended warranty years ago. I knew a I had been taken when I read the policy exclusions, one of which was a requirement that the transmission fluid and filter had to be changed every 10,000 miles.

Hrocks

Reaction score
The only one that was legit was the GMPP warranty prior to them going into bankruptcy. I had it on my 2010 Tahoe LTZ, and used it well beyond the original factory warranty. I would agree that these third party warranty outfits that spend megabucks scaring unwitting car owners are largely scams.

xycrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I in general believe that the best insurance is the one that you don't need my MaxCare warranty from CarMax paid 4k so far. I paid 1500 for the insurance. So that was a good deal.

E_S_D

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
All around just bad bad news. We can probably talk about this topic for days.

I was sold an aftermarket warranty when I bought my first financed truck. 100% my fault for not reading everything that I signed. The finance guy just kept boasting about the awesome payment he was able to get for me. Slipped in a warranty without ever verbally discussing it. I signed the 100 pages that they throw in front of you. Noticed the following day that I was charged like 3k for the warranty. I called the dealer immediately and they told me that it was a done deal and can’t be refunded. So my next call was the warranty company directly, they told me I could cancel for a full refund within 30 days. I went for that but the refund just rolled back into my loan.

I never got to experience how bad they probably would have been, but it doesn’t help that the dealer would sneak it in and lie about the policy.
It's super easy to tell when a car dealer is lying ... their lips are moving.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's super easy to tell when a car dealer is lying ... their lips are moving.
I really do hate how car sales works. Imagine being able to just walk into a store and buy a car off the shelf. The employees are paid hourly and have knowledge for any questions you may have.

ZKWBQD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yet another reason why I have always said: Stay away from extended warranty companies.

Permit me to help with insurance decisions, simple. If you can afford to take the loss without it affecting your lifestyle, then do not buy the insurance. I insure my car, I ensure my house. that's it. I don't get insurance for my iPhone, items I buy at Walmart, etc. I probably paid for my last vehicle using the money I saved by NOT buying extended insurance.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Fist off, BBB is still skirting allegations of pay to play. Who in their right mind gives an A rating to an application turned in for Friends of Hamas or Stormfront? BBB lost their credentials here in SoCal for a year because of it. BBB is Pay to Play.

Secondly, unless you’re a law aficionado, student or attorney, the Automotive Service Contract (S/C) business is still the Wild West of “who’s gonna make us pay for your car?”. A warranty and S/C are NOT the same.

In CA the S/C got shellacked for bad faith, worthless paper they sold. Now, every S/C company operating in CA must be underwritten until all contracts expire. This means a BK S/C company has someone who takes over no matter how many BK occurs.

Here in CA it’s possible to get a good S/C. Our Atty General is a fly on their walls. If you’ll notice CarSheild was not offered or sold in two states. Yup, they didn’t cut the muster for CA.

In ‘90 a S/C tried to weasel out on my daily driver. The dealer held my car hostage for $2.3k. I read the contract while picketing in front of the dealer for 3 weeks. They caved and I gained a scary knowledge base of the S/C industry.

If you’re not in CA, probably better get an actual warranty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nava95