The Most Reliable Duramax Diesel Engines ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umar96

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There are a few common problems with the 3.0 Duramax engine. First is a crank issue where the engine either takes a long time to start or doesn't start at all — with GM's fixes not necessarily addressing the issue. Despite the lack of a DEF, the emissions system can also go bad, throwing up error codes due to what seems like faulty sensors. Oil consumption is also quite high, with potential oil leak issues not helping

Read More: https://www.slashgear.com/1620227/best-duramax-diesel-engines-years-version-which-to-avoid/

Never heard about these on this forum... A little suspicious, no?

OP
OP
A

Alexandroid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm gathering information on the new LZ0 before I place an order for a 2025 Yukon XL. I'm facing a consequential choice between the LZ0 and the 6.2 V8.
So I focused on this paragraph: "Too soon to tell: 3.0-liter LZ0 (2023 - present)"
Looks like a welcome improvement over the LM2. But the following comments concern me:

"GM's new 3.0-liter Duramax is still very new as far as diesel engines go, so it's too soon to make any serious judgments about its reliability. Owner experiences are somewhat divided: Some LZ0 owners haven't had any real issues and, while others have experienced sensor and DEF system problems pretty much right out of the gate. One issue to watch out for is the wiring harness, which, on GMC's AT4 trucks at least, is pulled too tightly around the engine and can cause the truck's electrics to go haywire."

And that reminds me of the proverb “Better than the devil you know than the devil you don't.”

UsualSuspect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I read the LB7 was one of the most reliable, the author is talking out his backside. The LB7 from the factory had injector issues, even the updated injectors are junk. The LLY I would buy before the LB7. Some of the LLY's had an overheating issue, but I never saw one, but over a Diesel Place folks solved it with a new intake and air filter. I could write a book, but the author's sources are not very reliable IMHO.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anecdotally, one happy LB7 owner. Bought new, ~87K miles on it. Only mechanical issue so far was a failed primer pump for the fuel filter assembly. Failed to prime after replacing the fuel filter at ~80K miles. Fixed with a new priming pump.

CTown Duramax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... (And Which To Avoid) According To Owners
My 2021 LM2 in my Tahoe 4WD is the best engine ever. Bullet proof reliability at 3yrs 31k miles. 35 mpg on a 165 mile trip over the Berkshires, always 30+ hwy, 20 in town. Huge torque with effortless low speed thrust and higher speed acceleration (even over 85 mph+). No turbo lag at all.

It's a great engine performing beyond expectations. I would recommend it to anyone. Consider it instead of gasoline. Get the diesel. There are no issues with the DPF in city driving. Euros drive diesels in the city all day long w/ no issues. Its 460 lb ft of torque at 1500rpm's makes for effortless movement in a heavy SUV.

There are very, very few complaints here about the 2019-2023 3.0L LM2 Duramax diesel.

The article shows no statistical back up. Respectfully, it looks like click bait to me.

Last edited:

CTown Duramax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gathering information on the new LZ0 before I place an order for a 2025 Yukon XL. I'm facing a consequential choice between the LZ0 and the 6.2 V8.
So I focused on this paragraph: "Too soon to tell: 3.0-liter LZ0 (2023 - present)"
. . . . “Better than the devil you know than the devil you don't.”
I would get the new 3.0L Duramax in a heatbeat. More power and torque!

The Germans produce these 3.0L in-line sixes with the identical and with 25% higher, no problems (eg, 530d vs. 540d). 3.0L Duramax is a massive engine, despite being only 180 ci, so it can probably take a bigger turbo no problem.

I would like to hear from someone who knows about the new 3.0 Duramax.

Tinbadtin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of FUD around the diesel engines being spread online. Like CTown said they are everywhere in Europe. We live in amazing times: diesels are clean, efficient and overall very reliable, even with all the tacked on emissions equipment. Nothing like the diesel engines from yesteryear. These engines can go 200k+ without issues, there are many data points on these now.

stope4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've owned a 2007 Yukon, a 2013 Yukon and now a 2023 Yukon. The 07 and 13 were gas. The 07 crapped out at 107K miles due to AFM. Had to have the top end completely rebuilt. Very frustrating and costly. I didn't wait for the 2013 to fail because of the same reason. so I traded it in at 155 K miles for the 2023. I have to admit, it did have 150K miles on it which was better than the 2007 model. The 2023 has the 3.0 L Duramax Diesel and it's every bit as powerful as the 2013 6.2 L I traded in. And it truly gets at least 25 mpg on the highway. I am super pleased with this decision. I can't figure out why GM is not pushing this more. It gets way better mileage and is every bit as clean and powerful as the gas engines. 1st time I ever bought a new vehicle and was completely satisfied with my purchase. I attribute this to the Duramax 3.0.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wbill99hoe