Thinking of picking up a travel trailer... How can I bolster the tow capacity to afford myself a bigger trailer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

squeeler642

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In the early phases of thinking about a travel trailer, but am finding myself wanting something larger than I have the tow capacity for on my rig.

Some details of my setup:
- 2003 Tahoe Z71, stock drivetrain. Has the wt. dist. hitch and trailer package from the factory. (VIN: 1GNEK13Z53R218653)
- 6.0L swap, mild cam, long tubes. Made 340HP/350TQ to the wheels last time it was on the dyno. Probably makes another 10-20 HP now with more work done on the tune since then.
- Powerstop Z36 brake pad/rotor upgrade. I know... these make the brakes... still stock. Not a real upgrade, I feel, for towing a larger trailer.
- Stock 4L60. Rebuilt a number of years ago, about 170k on the clock. I acknowledge it will need a rebuild or upgrade to really tow anything.

I found this post addressing some of my questions, but I still have some lingering questions...

Several weak links that I see that need addressing:
- Suspension
- Brakes
- Motor/trans

If we make the assumption that I have enough power for a larger trailer, what are the best/required upgrades in each of the areas I listed above? I see NBSS front brakes, probably a 4L65E upgrade, and beefier rear suspension (H2 springs?) to handle more tongue weight. Are there other areas I'm not thinking of?

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tranny will hate you lol even if you add a cooler to it. id go and take the big one for a test drive, or one close to its weight and see how it feels.

back when i had my 03 gmc 2500 hd pick up id tow my 4,000 plus lb boat all the time. and you'd hardly know it was back there. my tahoe now would be fighting for its life i feel. its not as much of a truck than big SUV. weak tranny, soft springs, higher rear end ratios. the HD truck had a 6.0, 4l80 and 4.10 gears, could rip a house down as they say.

just about all trailers these days came with trailer brakes. makes a huge difference in stopping power, stock brakes would be just fine.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
IMO, save the upgrade money and get a longer wheelbase Suburban or XL 3/4 with a big block and bigger transmission. I recently bid on a 2005 Avalanche 3/4 ton with 8.1 and Allison. If you go bigger trailer, you will haul more load on weight along with the added trailer weight. You, again IMO, have too short a wheelbase truck for hauling big.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4.10 (4.30?) ... pcm tune specifically for Towing / Hauling ...
Normal mode can be for light towing on flat roads,
Tow / Haul mode can be for heavy towing on steep hills
(those were just ideas, you talk to your tuner so he'll tune to your tastes)

For towing, I'd bypass the radiator's ATF heat exchanger.
If you're not going to upgrade the GM OE external ATF cooler, at least add a fan to it.

How much more rotor beyond the GM OE 2010 Suburban front brakes can you afford to fit inside your wheels?
Rotor size is the simplest way to add to the brakes ability to store and reject heat.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cant exceed what the tag in door well says the vehicle is rated for no matter what you add or delete from the vehicle. Do it and something bad happens and the insurance company will hang you out to dry if caught and possibly even the police too if the "bad happens" draws too much attention. Go 3/4 or 1 ton if you really want to go big camper/trailer. I lucked out many years ago and bought my grandparents travel trailer off them and it is an all aluminum frame, 32ft Holiday Rambler AlumaLite and weighs just 5400lbs. Pulls sweet behind just about any 1/2 ton with weight distribution hitch. Looks funny though with the camper being so long and behind a little ol 1/2 ton. I get the looks from guys that dont know the camper is an aluminum frame and believe Im pulling a big camper with a steel frame which would weigh close to 10,000 lbs or more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyMalibu04