Ticking during acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redstarmobilelube

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2007 Tahoe LTZ that makes a ticking noise during acceleration starting around 2200 rpm up to close to 3000 rpm. It does not do it all the time but it does happen when the engine is cold and warm. I tried running higher octane on the chance it was pinging but that did not help. I am at a loss of what to do next, any ideas?

AZSCTACO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2007 Tahoe LTZ that makes a ticking noise during acceleration starting around 2200 rpm up to close to 3000 rpm. It does not do it all the time but it does happen when the engine is cold and warm. I tried running higher octane on the chance it was pinging but that did not help. I am at a loss of what to do next, any ideas?

Have the dealer look at your lifters. Mine did the same thing. Had to bring it in twice because the lifters already did some damage to the cam. So the 2nd time they replaced the cam.

There is a flaw in some of these 07 tahoe lifters.

mikes2nd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i have a similar issue, its a 2007 6.2.. it makes kind of an exhaust tick under acceleration.

The stupid dealer was like F off, we dont want to deal with it and told me "to find out we have to tear the engine down"... lol

And they wanted 1100$ to change my alternator :)

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
take a video of said "ticking" with no radio playing or cross talk, going on a straightaway no braking or turning. so all we get is the ticking sound , post it to youtube and then link the video here.

mikes2nd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I will i seriously think this is exhaust. I think if it was a rod knock it would make the noise in park.

I am kind of thinking motor mounts... I will do the step on the gas with the brakes on to check my motor mounts

I know the passenger side has been replaced.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will i seriously think this is exhaust. I think if it was a rod knock it would make the noise in park.

I am kind of thinking motor mounts... I will do the step on the gas with the brakes on to check my motor mounts

I know the passenger side has been replaced.
Motor mounts don't create a rhythmic knocking or ticking sound. And yes, rod knock is usually always audible and happens at the same frequency as crankshaft rotation, making it easy to distinguish from either lifter knock or an exhaust leak. Given that it's happening primarily under acceleration, I would wager exhaust leak. Check your exhaust manifold studs - I'll bet you have at least 1-2 missing.

Sata1991

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the same issue on my 11 Yukon on the left side. The back exhaust manifold bolt broke. And created a slight tick in the same rpm ranges as your describing!

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, more than likely an exhaust leak. This is my 6.0 when it was pulled out. Slight leak?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211101-085721_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211101-085721_Gallery.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 3

mikes2nd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
lol and people complain about Ram trucks breaking exhaust manifold bolts.

Ive repaired the exhaust manifold bolts... 3 were broke...

I think this is another part of the exhaust(downstream) like behind the cat... Ill check.

I did the motor mount test, it could be driveshaft? but that wouldnt tick.

It takes a while for the ticking to go away, engine is fully warm... then a bit after that it goes away, so its something under the car.

The dealer said "well have to tear into the engine"... lol

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol and people complain about Ram trucks breaking exhaust manifold bolts.

Ive repaired the exhaust manifold bolts... 3 were broke...

I think this is another part of the exhaust(downstream) like behind the cat... Ill check.

I did the motor mount test, it could be driveshaft? but that wouldnt tick.

It takes a while for the ticking to go away, engine is fully warm... then a bit after that it goes away, so its something under the car.

The dealer said "well have to tear into the engine"... lol
Hyperlube 1/4th qt (this is what i have been putting since 102k)
the noise it makes has gone away upon cold start even if it sits for days this stuff works great on it...

only hear a squeaky pulley (or belt)
my dad used it on every oil change 210k on his nissan 1.8l [he bought it new at 5 miles] the worst issues was the motor mounts it was on the 3rd set...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Virgorabit