Tire fitment question: 2017 4x4 18's on 2004 YukonXL RWD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCODOHERTY

Reaction score
I've got a 2004 YXL RWD with 18 inch 4x4 rims off a 2017 Z71. The 265/65/R18 Michelins have excellent clearance. Truck has new shocks and springs, including the Nivomat rears and "HD" springs. I would like to go to a 275/65/R18. It's really not much of a difference in width and the front end clearance seems fine with the 31.5" wheels on stock RWD height. The offset of the rim seems to really help.

My question is: will the 275s be a problem or should it be fine? I don't have key lifts up front (and don't think I'd want them).

Thanks a lot. This forum is the best.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a 2004 YXL RWD with 18 inch 4x4 rims off a 2017 Z71. The 265/65/R18 Michelins have excellent clearance. Truck has new shocks and springs, including the Nivomat rears and "HD" springs. I would like to go to a 275/65/R18. It's really not much of a difference in width and the front end clearance seems fine with the 31.5" wheels on stock RWD height. The offset of the rim seems to really help.

My question is: will the 275s be a problem or should it be fine? I don't have key lifts up front (and don't think I'd want them).

Thanks a lot. This forum is the best.
According to Tire Comparison you are only adding 1/2" to diameter. This means that, ideally, you need more than 1/4" clearance, preferably 1/2"+.

If you use the above link and compare the two sizes, you should be able to get all the information you need, short of what your Yukon can specifically handle. I know ourtrucks can handle 285s, but I don't know about the tire height or backspacing required. I suggest doing a search on these forums -- I have a meeting so don't have time to look at the moment.

OP
OP
JCODOHERTY

JCODOHERTY

Reaction score
Thanks.

I've been comparing size 265/65 (31.56") with 275/65 (32.07"), also the 265/70 (32.61"). All three seem fine on the rear or front (w/out larger keys).

265=10.42" 275=10.83"

Thanks for the link, I was looking at the tacomaworld.com one.

Any thoughts on light (34-35 lb) regular 44psi tires? Wally world has a roll back (after the 4th of July sale) on TPC spec Primacy LTXs for $205 a piece in 265/65R18. But I am open to going with a 2nd tier line of tire. All season radial, light, soft, easy to roll on, etc (and decent out on hard pack sand at half psi). The Michelins on the Yukon right now are sidewall dry rotting. But I like the way they drive. Reminds me of Pilot Sports I had on a few Benz and BMW sedans over the years. Good coming out of regular turns. Not the best in rain but fine in the straights. Natural response feel type design. Maybe I'll just order the Primacy LTs through Walmart. I've never used Walmart. But up here it's them or Pepsboys & Firestone or private garages (No Discount Tire or Big O this side of the country).

Tire Rack here in CT does have a deal on some Pirelli AT plus in 275/65R18 (w/ 2021 date codes). But I don't need an AT type tire.

Firestone down the road has a deal on some Destination 3s for $700+ mounted.

Walmart here quoted Mastercraft Stratus somethings for around $150. But the Walmart online system is as bad as everyone else, except for Tire Rack, and not sure if that's still available.

I could use a CostCo account but not sure if they can beat the local Wally world.

Most of the garages around here now get $35 a wheel. Walmart is $18 or $28 depending on road coverage or not.

Thanks again.
All best

OP
OP
JCODOHERTY

JCODOHERTY

Reaction score
Link to the Walmart Michelin Primacy LTX 265/65/18s (I don't have a problem with TPC spec/dealer OE type tires)

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

I've been comparing size 265/65 (31.56") with 275/65 (32.07"), also the 265/70 (32.61"). All three seem fine on the rear or front (w/out larger keys).

265=10.42" 275=10.83"

Thanks for the link, I was looking at the tacomaworld.com one.

Any thoughts on light (34-35 lb) regular 44psi tires? Wally world has a roll back (after the 4th of July sale) on TPC spec Primacy LTXs for $205 a piece in 265/65R18. But I am open to going with a 2nd tier line of tire. All season radial, light, soft, easy to roll on, etc (and decent out on hard pack sand at half psi). The Michelins on the Yukon right now are sidewall dry rotting. But I like the way they drive. Reminds me of Pilot Sports I had on a few Benz and BMW sedans over the years. Good coming out of regular turns. Not the best in rain but fine in the straights. Natural response feel type design. Maybe I'll just order the Primacy LTs through Walmart. I've never used Walmart. But up here it's them or Pepsboys & Firestone or private garages (No Discount Tire or Big O this side of the country).

Tire Rack here in CT does have a deal on some Pirelli AT plus in 275/65R18 (w/ 2021 date codes). But I don't need an AT type tire.

Firestone down the road has a deal on some Destination 3s for $700+ mounted.

Walmart here quoted Mastercraft Stratus somethings for around $150. But the Walmart online system is as bad as everyone else, except for Tire Rack, and not sure if that's still available.

I could use a CostCo account but not sure if they can beat the local Wally world.

Most of the garages around here now get $35 a wheel. Walmart is $18 or $28 depending on road coverage or not.

Thanks again.
All best
I'm a bit of a tire snob, not that I typically can afford anything. FB Marketplace has used tires of the kind I like, if I am patient.

That said, I needed tires for my wife and my daughter. I knew they would be driving during rain storms, but their ice and snow driving would be limited, so I ended up with a Bridgestone that was highly rated for water performance, was on the good side of average for dry performance, and also on the good side of average for snow/ice. For my wife and daughter, I just wanted safety. For my own vehicle I gave into snobbery: Michelin Defenders, 10 ply.

OP
OP
JCODOHERTY

JCODOHERTY

Reaction score
I'm a bit of a tire snob, not that I typically can afford anything. FB Marketplace has used tires of the kind I like, if I am patient.

That said, I needed tires for my wife and my daughter. I knew they would be driving during rain storms, but their ice and snow driving would be limited, so I ended up with a Bridgestone that was highly rated for water performance, was on the good side of average for dry performance, and also on the good side of average for snow/ice. For my wife and daughter, I just wanted safety. For my own vehicle I gave into snobbery: Michelin Defenders, 10 ply.
Currently running Michelins on three vehicles. Just looking for something more like the Firestone Wilderness that's been hanging under the rear since summer 2003.
I don't want to default to Michelin Primacy or Defender XLT. Still looking for American/Japan rubber in a "trail guide" pattern. Maybe something XL / 4 ply but not heavy. Something that'll last and not howl on the highway. And something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg new. Multi-mile is Sumitomo (Falken) and they're still made in Japan? Maybe Taiwan? Not sure. The Michelins on the YXL are fully rotted out. It spent a lot of time sitting out in Southern California during lockdowns (terrible time) and just haven't held up since. They're hitting the 10 yr mark anyway. ANd they're not the real deal Michelins anyway (more of an OE variant). But they did serve me well. Great gas mileage, excellent handling, cheap to me at the time, been back and forth across country.
I see the cheaper tires have different rubber that doesn't last and eventually start getting punctures when halfway down. Depends on the lug pattern, drive conditions, etc. But the Michelins dry rot out the sidewalls when not driven enough. It's a toss up. If you drive a lot get the Michelins. If you don't drive much or not on the highways then get second tier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kraken1091V