Torque management question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jkomlos

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Would the TM impact starting from a dead stop? I know it handles shifting and will pull back the power at that stage, but could it also be reducing power while, say, pulling a boat out of the water from a dead stop?

jetmech

Reaction score
that would be traction control, TM is active at specific throttle angles/engine load to reduce torque output for drivetrain longevity

OP
OP
J

jkomlos

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So if I understand you correctly, under certain conditions, it could be reducing power at a dead start, right? To clarify, no slippage or tire spinning was happening. It just didn't seem to have the power to move the boat.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe you left in a lower gear like 2nd when you went to pull the boat out of the water. If I leave mine in 2nd, it starts out in 2nd. best thing to go is leave it in Drive or in first.

OP
OP
J

jkomlos

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I definitely left it in first. I also had the same issue in reverse. It is a 2012 Tahoe with the 3.08 gearset, which I know is an issue all by itself.

Dave01

Reaction score
Livingez, I don't think it is starting in 2nd, it's just that the dash indicator shows the highest gear selected. It should still be starting out in 1st.

Try disabling the traction control and see if any difference. Do you have a 2 speed transfer case so you can put it in 4WD low?

SmallXL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Livingez, I don't think it is starting in 2nd, it's just that the dash indicator shows the highest gear selected. It should still be starting out in 1st.

Try disabling the traction control and see if any difference. Do you have a 2 speed transfer case so you can put it in 4WD low?

Leaving it in 2nd still starts you in first. I've typically used second in my other trucks when pulling my boats out of the water to help with wheelspin. It doesn't matter with the Yukon still puts you in 1st (but traction control will negate wheelspin - win, win).

OP
OP
J

jkomlos

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No slipping or tire spin and unfortunately, no 4x4 low. Big mistake on my part. I assumed I was getting the 3.42 ratio. I had it mashed to the floor pulling out a boat and it seemed like I was never going to make it out. Then, when we were backing the boat in the driveway, same scenario. Just seemed like I was never going to get it in the driveway.

Dave01

Reaction score
Something still sounds wrong to me. How heavy is the boat and trailer? That drivetrain, even with the 3.08 gears, should not just sit there and rev. It might struggle a bit, but should move. I'm wondering if you have transmission problems, specifically a torque converter that is not working well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustin Road