Tranny woes...what to do

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fowldarr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So as I was driving a few weeks ago and felt an odd wobble and made a mental note to check the ujoints, didn't do it.

So I was driving home last week and the wobble comes back, except worse, and then I hit a bump and BAM (ba de bam bam bam), so I ease it over to the side of the road. I see that my driveline is lying on the ground, dragging from the transfer case. So I get looking and the transfer case extension case housing is broke, that sucks, but makes it easy to pull the driveshaft off, throw it in the back, drive it home in 4 wd (so pull it home with the front wheels)....I can fix this (I think to myself)

So I bust out the ramps pull it up on the ramps and fluid starts pouring out of a large crack in the transmission....

Suck.

So I call the shop

Quoted $1500 to $2500 for all the repairs depending on if I bent the output shaft, fried the innards of the tranny etc. etc. etc.

So $2500 in repairs on a $3500 truck....

What do I do

(Oh yeah 94 Yukon 2 door)

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can see the crack in the case it's best to get a junk yard unit and rebuild that ... or do like everyone else on this site and throw unknown condition junk yard parts into your daily driver and beat it like a rented mule. :rocking:

purple 'hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you transmission has a crack in it, get yourself a 4L60E, rebuild it or have someone rebuild it. Add in a few things like a shift kit, new clutch packs, new sunshell and a good torque converter and you'll be set.

If this helps, I have a BandM Shift Kit, "Beast" Sunshell, Raybestos Clutch Pack's, and a BandM 2400 Stall. For a stock/mild modded truck, it's a great transmission.

Check out Transgo, and BandM for parts. Raybestos Z-Pak is great for the clutch packs. When I build a 383 for mine, I'll build another 60E up a little bit more tougher to handle it.

Otherwise, maybe consider a 4L80E swap/rebuild. Or a NV4500 swap too.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T2003