Transfer case adapter keeps cracking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Checking the mounts would be good. But if you have the two-speed AUTO transfer case, that one takes AutoTrakII (blue) fluid. If you have red transmission fluid migrating into the transfer case, you should have the transmission seal checked and/or replaced. Fluid shouldn't be coming out of the transmission into the T/C.

Isn't that being checked by whomever is changing these parts? Seems like it would be obvious when the T/C is removed.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Checking the mounts would be good. But if you have the two-speed AUTO transfer case, that one takes AutoTrakII (blue) fluid. If you have red transmission fluid migrating into the transfer case, you should have the transmission seal checked and/or replaced. Fluid shouldn't be coming out of the transmission into the T/C.

Isn't that being checked by whomever is changing these parts? Seems like it would be obvious when the T/C is removed.
OP is getting side load enough that it is cracking the Tcase adapter multiple times. I can guarantee the rear seal on the tranny is leaking into that void area. That seal cant handle that amount of side load. But the rear seal leaking obviously isnt the culprit for the adapter cracking. He has a mount(s) screwed up bad on engine or tranny.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
OP is getting side load enough that it is cracking the Tcase adapter multiple times. I can guarantee the rear seal on the tranny is leaking into that void area. That seal cant handle that amount of side load. But the rear seal leaking obviously isnt the culprit for the adapter cracking. He has a mount(s) screwed up bad on engine or tranny.

Right. I'm not saying that the tranny leak is the cause of the adapter failure, but it needs to be addressed for future reliability. Or not.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Islandboy

Latest posts