Transfer case + BCM Error/Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fathoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is a 2010 Tahoe z71 package that I am doing independent work on.

It has 193k Miles, so I would expect E-Tcase issues to happen at this point in time, and when the failure occurs, it would mean multiple failures.

Initially I had done a Tcase service and transmission fluid change. Took on test drive and when switching from 4auto to 4 hi, service four wheel drive light would come on. Unplugged position sensor and re plugged it and it started working again. Get a callback 2 months later saying that the vehicle will not move, but they turned it off and on again and all of a sudden it started moving. Found TSB for the Tcase actuator motor, so I replaced it. That did not work. It does not even attempt to shift from 4 hi to 2 hi. Told her that I do not have a scanner that will pick up the codes, go to the dealership/ another shop because I am beyond stumped. Chevy found that the new motor was internally shorted (weird), but they also couldnt find the exact issue, it sat at their shop for 3-4 days. Replace the New Napa motor for a Dorman, and by this time my new code reader arrived (carly). Dealership provided me with 14 codes

C0306 S-T-G and High Voltage/Open
C0321 Open
C0392 PFmance- Signal invalid
C0396 High voltage/open
B0790 Low voltage/open
B2725 Performance sig invalid
U0101 Invalid data
C0387 Protection Time out
C0398 Not plausible
U0101 Lost com with TCM
C0242 PCM indicated traction control
B0000 Not plausible

Now I know this is a lot, but with the carly scanner I know it can pick up the BCM codes, U series codes. Do I NEED GM data link to be able to read all of those codes? If so the carly was a waste of money. If not, and the carly is picking up every existing code (dealership cleared codes and sent it back), then its only picking up a U0140, lost communication with BCM. BCM still sends highspeed lan and lowspeed lan, so the BCM is intact (albeit maybe not in its full form). Still displays service 4 wheel drive and does not attempt to shift from 2hi to 4hi/4low when requested to. I have a 08 personal tahoe that has this issue intermittently whenever I am doing dumb stuff like drifting in the rain. It throws the same exact code but goes away whenever I clear it and then allows it to shift from 2hi to 4hi. So to me this may just be a loose wire in a pin or a break in the wire. Chevy is stumped, I am stumped, maybe someone has had this issue before? Thanks.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
usually when you get a bunch of random codes like that it's electrical, so pinched wire, broken wire, short to ground, bad module, etc
I would be inspecting all the associated wiring pretty closely.
the open circuit/hi-lo voltage/invalid data are a dead ringer

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Hopefully more issues like this will be followed up on and earmarked as “Resolved” so others will know to first replace the both battery cables no matter how pretty they look (unless it’s already been done).

The cables are susceptible to rotting from the inside out. The random fluctuations in continuity trick the CanBus into displaying all kinds of wacky codes.

Replace battery cables, start with a known clean slate to diagnose.

OP
OP
F

fathoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hopefully more issues like this will be followed up on and earmarked as “Resolved” so others will know to first replace the both battery cables no matter how pretty they look (unless it’s already been done).

The cables are susceptible to rotting from the inside out. The random fluctuations in continuity trick the CanBus into displaying all kinds of wacky codes.

Replace battery cables, start with a known clean slate to diagnose.
Thanks, Il check that off

OP
OP
F

fathoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
usually when you get a bunch of random codes like that it's electrical, so pinched wire, broken wire, short to ground, bad module, etc
I would be inspecting all the associated wiring pretty closely.
the open circuit/hi-lo voltage/invalid data are a dead ringer
Any usual pinch points? I dont want to charge this woman too much for inspecting every inch of the harness

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any usual pinch points? I dont want to charge this woman too much for inspecting every inch of the harness
I would punch some of those codes in online + tsb (technical service bulletin) you might get something relevant to look for

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtdelta