Transfer Case Fluid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

Baddawg

Reaction score
The first one is a Nissan! Both threads show knuckleheads putting fluid in their trucks it was not designed for. You have an MP3023 transfer case. It was designed for plain old Dexron VI and that's what your owner's manual and shop manual will call for. Pick your favorite brand but make sure it is Dexron VI. I run ACDelco or whoever made it for them.

Yeah, that's it. I don't want to be another KNUCKLEHEAD but when somebody is telling me the factory uses thinnest possible viscosity to get fractionally better MPG, well it does sound believeable.
Factory says Dex6, mine has run 100K so far and still seems good so I guess fresh Dex6 might run awhile longer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Baddawg

Reaction score
DEX-VI is what’s recommended for 2013 vehicles. It amazing the information that’s available in the owners manual.
View attachment 231071

Yes, manuals are a great source.
Mine came from the police auction without.
I have a 2012 owners manual + a 2014 police supplement.
Just trying to verify (or refute) advice on updates to original factory recommendations.

Thanks to all for understanding and tolerance of dumb questions.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just trying to verify (or refute) advice on updates to original factory recommendations.

I very much appreciate the desire to try and get solid information. As the saying goes - “trust but verify”. That being said, the owners manual is usually a good source of solid information.

As for YouTube videos, I have learned that a lot of unqualified people have posted videos on topics that they have no business discussing. Too many seem to be a “hold my beer and watch this” situation.

If you don’t have a manual, I suggest you get one. They available online as PDF’s or order one from GM.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's it. I don't want to be another KNUCKLEHEAD but when somebody is telling me the factory uses thinnest possible viscosity to get fractionally better MPG, well it does sound believeable.
Factory says Dex6, mine has run 100K so far and still seems good so I guess fresh Dex6 might run awhile longer.

I get where you're coming from Robert. These trucks respond better to factory parts and specs than aftermarket in a great many instances. There's a fellow on another forum with a Silverado that has a lifetime average of over 30 mpg. It's a 2WD with a V6 so don't get your hopes up but he uses Red Line oils and putting that in his transmission increased his mileage by just over 1 MPG. It's Dexron VI compatible and approved if memory serves. He recently got another jump in mileage by switching his rear axle fluid over to another Red Line product.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matts65ss