Transfer case motor installation help needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alanb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 1996 4x4 Tahoe, been having problems with the 4x4 system, I traced the problem to the transfer case encoder / shift motor.
I purchased a new Dorman part and having a problem trying to install the motor, the new motor came with a plastic plug in the female lug of the motor which tells you it's in 2wd position (as per the instructions), but it won't line up with the shaft coming from the transfer case, I can rotate the shaft from the transfer case using a 14mm open ended spanner but the only position I can make the two line up is with the transfer case in 4wd high, does anybody have any thoughts, I don't want to carry on and break the new part.

taylorjm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully someone can chime up and verify this, but I seem to remember that if your transfer case doesn't match up with the encoder...such as when you said your transfer case is in 4hi, and the encoder is in 2hi... that you were supposed to hook up the encoder electronics, and shift the truck into 4hi. That way the encoder would switch to the 4hi position, to match the transfer case 4hi position. Then you could install it. But again, it's just from what I remember reading, so you might want to wait and see if someone else can tell you if it's correct or not....

OP
OP
A

alanb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks Jeff, I have checked the transfer case codes and think I might have the wrong part, I have a New Process 243 transfer case and on the id tag it is stamped "243 C" but the only replacement tcase motor I can find is a Dorman 600-902 which says it's for a NP243 tcase code NP1, the part looks identical to the original part.
Does anybody know if there is more than 1 type of 243 tcase

OP
OP
A

alanb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I checked the RPO codes in the glove box and mine is a NP1 transfer case, so I connected just the electric connections to the new tcase motor selected 2wd and the new motor rotated to the same alignment as the shaft in the t-case, so fitted the new motor and the 4wd system all works perfectly thanks very much for the advice

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tcaphou